AWilliams

Triple Monitor Support + Computer Replacement

Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:39 am

Intro - Most of my applications that I use, tend to be through the Chrome browser (Gmail, Text, Photos, Drive etc etc). I have been using my laptop through 3x 1920x1080 Samsung HDMI monitors via a Matrox TripleHead2Go box (because of my MacBook Air mid 2011 limitations). I enjoy the screen space especially when monitoring the stock market on my 3 monitors (web based program). 2 current problems at the moment are making me rethink how I do things in relation to equipment and home use. The Matrox box doesn’t work anymore. My 7 year old laptop needs replacing due to other intermittent issues.
I apologise in advance as I have never used a Raspberry Pi.
Question 1 - Is it possible to use / connect 1 or more Raspberry Pi computers together so I can still run 3x 1920x1080 monitors (left to right), and avoid the need to buy another laptop / desktop.
Question 2 - Can you print through a Raspberry Pi computer even to a wireless printer?
I have a wireless keyboard and mouse. If I can do these things, this will hopefully have the power to run what I want. Then I can always buy a tablet for use when away from home.
Thanks in advance.

fruitoftheloom

Re: Triple Monitor Support + Computer Replacement

Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:23 am

Question 1 - Is it possible to use / connect 1 or more Raspberry Pi computers together so I can still run 3x 1920x1080 monitors (left to right), and avoid the need to buy another laptop / desktop.

The Raspberry Pi is a Computer in its own right, you can not "join" 2 together, just as you could not "join" 2 Laptops / PCs together to give multi-monitor support.

Obviously there are work-arounds like HDMi Splitters, USB Monitors, GPIO VGA output, even using remote access from another Raspberry Pi, but whether or not they would replace satisfactorily your present set up depends on your expectations.
Take what I advise as advice not the utopian holy grail, and it is gratis !!

fruitoftheloom

Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:30 am

AWilliams wrote:
Question 2 - Can you print through a Raspberry Pi computer even to a wireless printer?

Yes I use a HP Envy Wireless Printer to both Scan and Print when the need arises.
Take what I advise as advice not the utopian holy grail, and it is gratis !!

AWilliams

Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:18 am

Thanks for your help fruitoftheloom . Any advice please on how to do this if possible would be appreciated with respect to the monitors.

tpyo kingg

Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:30 am

AWilliams wrote:
synergy is also there in the Raspbian repository. I haven't tried it myself but do know a few people who use it for work. It will let you share the mouse across separate computers. So you could have your main computer and two Raspberry Pis, each with their own screen yet work between them. I'm not sure about the clipboard however in the FOSS edition, their model seems to be open-core rather than full out Open Source or Free Software.

With it you'd have at least two options. One would be to run the applications separately on each machine. Another would be to just use the Xserver on the two Pis and still run everything from the main computer.

aBUGSworstnightmare

Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:39 am

The Pi can only run one monitor (framebuffer) at the moment.
There was a beta testing for multi framebuffer (multi = dual) with the details available here viewtopic.php?f=63&t=216399

This demonstrates that it's possible to run two displays from a single Pi.
PSX_20190531_093400.jpg
2 7in displays, WXGA
PSX_20190531_093400.jpg (87.1 KiB) Viewed 2177 times
IMG_0685.JPG
7in WXGA and 18.5in FHD
IMG_0685.JPG (137.76 KiB) Viewed 2177 times
here's a video of it in action https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HFYg63suLoM

hippy

Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:36 am

USB DisplayLink adpaters can be plugged into a USB port to give 'desktop across two monitors' operation in mere minutes. That should extend to multiple monitors though I have never tried more than two on a Pi -

http://multi-seat.com/raspbian-dual-monitors

The main issues would be whether that would be responsive enough and whether a single Pi can handle that and what you are doing. Those claiming DisplayLink is too slow, has too much overhead, to ever be usable are overstating the issue IMO. For gaming and video playback, maybe. It has not been problematic for my use.

AWilliams

Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:36 am

Thanks so much for all of your help. tpyo kingg you gave me a great idea. What if I purchase 3x Raspberry Pi, to run 1 per 1920x1080 monitor, then Synergy to use the mouse between the 3. Technically that will be 3 computers but it will act as one for me as I do most of my computing in a browser. I've emailed Synergy to ask if this will work across 3x Raspberry Pi. I'll see what they say.

Andyroo

Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:36 pm

Going by this https://members.symless.com/synergy/requirements Stretch is fully supported.

Tempting to try under the ‘Our 100% Seamless Guarantee’ :D

thagrol

Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:33 pm

Andyroo wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:36 pm
Going by this https://members.symless.com/synergy/requirements Stretch is fully supported.

Tempting to try under the ‘Our 100% Seamless Guarantee’ :D
I'm not so sure given "Raspberry Pi (64-bit – armhf)". Not all Pi are capable of 64bit and even if they are isn't raspbian only 32bit?

Edit: and the link to their refund policy returns a 404 error.
I'm a volunteer. Take me for granted or abuse my support and I will walk away

All advice given is based on my experience. it worked for me, it may not work for you.
Need help? https://github.com/thagrol/Guides

rpdom

Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:37 pm

thagrol wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:33 pm
I'm not so sure given "Raspberry Pi (64-bit – armhf)". Not all Pi are capable of 64bit and even if they are isn't raspbian only 32bit?
Yes. Raspbian Stretch is 32-bit. All armhf software is 32-bit as well, so I don't know what "64-bit - armhf" is supposed to mean. Does it support both?
Unreadable squiggle

AWilliams

Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:27 am

Synergy got back to me and said that I could use a 3B+ as a server, and 2 more as clients. Thanks everyone for your input and assistance.

Return to “General discussion”