Scion

Can Pi 4 be powered through GPIO pins?

Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:37 pm

I want to bypass the USB-C power connector and feed the power straight to the board. I have a good, regulated 5V power source that can give 3A but in the installation there is no room for USB-C powercord and connector. I want power it up either through pins or solder power cord directly to the board. But where should I connect it? With older Pi's it was possible to power them up through GPIO pins but as far as I understand with Pi 3 and Pi 4 it's not anymore possible, at least not so easily as it was.
Big Pi fan from the beginning. Lately interested also about Arduinos. Planning to have a big, happy family where Pis and Arduinos can live side by side ever after.

trejan

Re: Can Pi 4 be powered through GPIO pins?

Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:39 pm

Scion wrote:
With older Pi's it was possible to power them up through GPIO pins but as far as I understand with Pi 3 and Pi 4 it's not anymore possible, at least not so easily as it was.
No change for the 3, 3+ or 4. The official PoE HAT feeds 5V in via the GPIO header.

davidcoton

Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:00 pm

Location: 345th cell on the right of the 210th row of L2 cache

Milliways

Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:41 am

Scion wrote:
I want to bypass the USB-C power connector and feed the power straight to the board. I have a good, regulated 5V power source that can give 3A but in the installation there is no room for USB-C powercord and connector. I want power it up either through pins or solder power cord directly to the board. But where should I connect it? With older Pi's it was possible to power them up through GPIO pins but as far as I understand with Pi 3 and Pi 4 it's not anymore possible, at least not so easily as it was.
You can not power the Pi through GPIO pins, however you always have been able to power through the 5V & Gnd pins on the expansion header.

Many HATs do this, and the Foundation has documentation on this. See https://github.com/raspberrypi/hats/blo ... pio-header

Indeed on the PI 4 the 5V pins are directly connected to the power on the USB-C power connector .

briantw

Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:43 pm

Milliways wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:41 am
You can not power the Pi through GPIO pins, however you always have been able to power through the 5V & Gnd pins on the expansion header.
The very first line on the page that you linked says "It is possible to power the Pi by supplying 5V through the GPIO header pins 2,4 and GND." It may confuse some when you say that the Pi cannot be powered through the GPIO pins, as to a lot of people all of the pins on the GPIO header are roughly identified as GPIO pins.

I understand that you are trying to differentiate between actual general input/output pins and power pins on the GPIO header (whch you call the expansion header, but that is not the official terminology), since you were somewhat browbeating in your response, I feel like the response, for anyone else looking for an answer to this, would benefit from a clearer elucidation of the difference:

Yes, you can still power the Raspberry Pi 4 from pins on the GPIO header. Supply a well-regulated 5V to pins 2 and 4, and ground to pin 6. Be very careful, however not to accidentally apply 5V to any of the other pins, as the I/Os are intended for 3.3V operation.

Take a look at the Raspberry Pi 4's GPIO header pinout here:

https://maker.pro/raspberry-pi/tutorial ... pio-pinout

emma1997

Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:41 pm

Better late than never. lol

LTolledo

Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:11 pm

you'll find more examples here:
viewtopic.php?f=29&t=266296&p=1617905#p1617905
"Don't come to me with 'issues' for I don't know how to deal with those
Come to me with 'problems' and I'll help you find solutions"

Some people be like:
"Help me! Am drowning! But dont you dare touch me nor come near me!"

HermannSW

Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:04 pm

As others said, through one of the 5V pins and one GND pin.
Your power source needs to be able to provide enough amps
(photo shows 4S 1300mAh 95C lipo that can deliver 123.5A, 2.5-3A are sufficient).
And the cables used for connecting need to be thick because of the amps:
https://github.com/Hermann-SW/memrun
https://stamm-wilbrandt.de/2wheel_balancing_robot
https://stamm-wilbrandt.de/en#raspcatbot
https://github.com/Hermann-SW/Raspberry_v1_camera_global_external_shutter
https://stamm-wilbrandt.de/en/Raspberry_camera.html

hippy

Sat Jul 04, 2020 2:06 pm

briantw wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:43 pm
Yes, you can still power the Raspberry Pi 4 from pins on the GPIO header. Supply a well-regulated 5V to pins 2 and 4, and ground to pin 6. Be very careful, however not to accidentally apply 5V to any of the other pins, as the I/Os are intended for 3.3V operation.
All these issues seem to come down to how the 40-way connector is referred to, with some calling it a "GPIO header", others then using "GPIO pins" to refer to pins of the connector which are not actually used for GPIO - as the OP here did.

It seems patently obvious to me that anyone asking about powering via "GPIO pins" is talking about "pins on the 40-way connector", not suggesting trying to power via pins used for digital I/O, but I can accept it's worth ensuring they are not.

My stock answer which avoids any need to disambiguate or figure out what the poster may mean is -

Power can be supplied to the Pi by connecting 5V to pin 2 or 4 of the 40-way connector, with "ground" (0V) connected to pin 6 or pins 9, 14, 20, 25, 30, 34, 39.

Take care to avoid connecting 5V to anything other than pin 2 or 4 as this may damage the Pi and/or power supply.

pi-anazazi

Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:26 pm

OK, and now about 5V at pin 2/4:

- Why should it be neccessary to have 5V at pin 2 AND pin 4?

- I tried only one pin (2 or 4) in the past with mixed success.

What ist the truth? 2 AND 4 or 2 OR 4?
Kind regards

anazazi

LTolledo

Sun Jul 05, 2020 1:20 pm

cannot confirm this visually on the foil path (looking at a RPiZW)
however the RPi protoboards that I used have the pins 2 and 4 electrically connected, as well as all Gnd pins..

also as HermannSW showed us his working unit, the power connection is clearly at pins 4 (5v) and 6 (Gnd).....

the DuPont connectors used may also be a factor, if its loose connection then there will be troubles

for sturdy/stable connection;
1. solder the power cable to the pins (underside of RPi board), or
2. use a 40 pin connector (better have it soldered to a universal board, with your preferred power connector)

Some people be like:

hippy

Sun Jul 05, 2020 1:59 pm

pi-anazazi wrote:

5V only to pin 2, 5V only to pin 4, 5V to both pins 2 and 4 - should all work equally well.

One advantage of connecting 5V to both pins is that if there is a poor connection on one pin the other connection will compensate for that to some degree.

Using both also allows two thinner wires to be used for supplying power rather than needing to use a single thicker wire.

If a single wire exhibits an amount of voltage drop as current draw increases, that can be mitigated by using thicker wire or adding a connection to the other pin. I would guess this is what was happening when you needed both connections for reliable operation.

Paul Hutch

Sun Jul 05, 2020 2:04 pm

pi-anazazi wrote:

From the Raspberry Pi folks https://github.com/raspberrypi/hats/blo ... pio-header:
It is possible to power the Pi by supplying 5V through the GPIO header pins 2,4 and GND. The acceptable input voltage range is 5V ±5%.
I interpret that sentence to be the equivalent of saying 2 and/or 4.

If you want the lowest possible cable losses use both, but that is rarely necessary. In fact the only time I found it necessary was when using long thin wires to connect and in that case the system also needed two long thin wires from the powers supply to ground. It's all depends on the total impedance of the wire and connectors. The total impedance needs to small enough to limit the voltage drop to a value tolerable to the Pi at the current consumed by the Pi (Ohms law).

pi-anazazi

Sun Jul 05, 2020 6:06 pm

Just for the sake of completeness

viewtopic.php?f=91&t=277067

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=266296

;-)
Kind regards

anazazi

hoserr9

Fri Sep 04, 2020 6:57 pm

I have a follow on question as well. Are the pins 2 or 4 are both 5V input/output?

Because currently I have a CPU fan on pins 4 and 6 that is being powered.

My question is can I keep the CPU fan on pins 4/6 and us Pins 2/9 to power the raspberry pi?

drgeoff

Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:37 pm

hoserr9 wrote:
I have a follow on question as well. Are the pins 2 or 4 are both 5V input/output?

My question is can I keep the CPU fan on pins 4/6 and us Pins 2/9 to power the raspberry pi?
Yes.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

alphanumeric

Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:11 pm

hoserr9 wrote:

On some earlier models of Pi's there is a poly fuse between the Micro SD Power Jack and the GPIO pins 2 and 4. Powering those Pi's via Pins 2 or 4 bypasses the Poly fuse. I've done it anyway as I'm prepared for the consequences if I get it wrong.
On the Pi 4B there is no poly fuse, pins 2 and 4 are wired directly to the power pin on the USB C power jack.
It works both ways. Power the Pi via the USB C and your hat will get its +5V via pins 2 and 4. And conversely, a hat can power the Pi by supplying +5V to pin 2 or 4. I've done it both ways. No magic blue smoke so far, knock on wood.

EDIT: As mentioned, pins 2 and 4 are physically linked together via a track on the board. Same deal with all the ground pins, they are all tied together.

hoserr9

Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:17 pm

Thanks, I thought that was the case. Now I am trying to figure out the HP Server PSU breakout board. It says it has a 5V 4 pin connector for fans but I am not drawing any power from it.

:?:

LTolledo

Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:54 pm

hoserr9 wrote: ... I am trying to figure out the HP Server PSU breakout board. It says it has a 5V 4 pin connector for fans but I am not drawing any power from it.
better head over HP's forum or call HP tech help for that....

Some people be like:

dizzymon247

Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:09 am

I just got my LCD control board for my broken HP Touchpad LCD screen and I want to see if I can power the pi4 with the control board. I'm a noob when it comes to circuits but I love tinkering with things.

I also need some ideas on how to mount this. I was thinking using a single piece of plywood and just screw everything on it.

dgmonte

Sun Nov 01, 2020 4:17 am

I'm really new to raspberry pi, bought a arcade box with a pi4B on it, its powerd by the gpio but i was updating it and ran on the under voltage error, i have a better reliable usb c one to use but can i plug the usbc with the gpio cable? or i will fry it if i do that?

dgmonte

Sun Nov 01, 2020 4:28 am

I'm really new to raspberry pi, bought a arcade box with a pi4B on it, its powerd by the gpio but i was updating it and ran on the under voltage error, i have a better reliable usb c one to use but can i plug the usbc with the gpio cable? or i will fry it if i do that?

hippy

Sun Nov 01, 2020 3:23 pm

dgmonte wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 4:28 am
i have a better reliable usb c one to use but can i plug the usbc with the gpio cable? or i will fry it if i do that?
Disconnect the 'GPIO power cable' if using a USB-C connected supply. You could damage your Pi if you don't.

Return to “Advanced users”