LionmanTwo

Pi 4 ethernet dropping often

Sat Aug 10, 2019 1:57 pm

Raspberry Pi 4 ethernet (eth0) link keeps dropping. It will stay connected for minutes, or even hours, and then drops. I can bring it back up by rebooting or by using the commands:

sudo ip link set eth0 down && sudo ip link set eth0 up

All I am using this unit for is a Plex Server, so not a terribly high demand. I am using the same router and cables I used for running a Plex Server on a previous version of Pi with no issues. I am up to date on the system and have no clue here. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

trejan

Re: Pi 4 ethernet dropping often

Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:28 pm

What Ethernet switch is it connected to? There have some odd interactions with some switches.

LionmanTwo

Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:40 am

I am connected to an Asus Blue Cave. I had no issues with the 3 B+, but that was also running Stretch and the 4 is running Buster. I have also set both the ethernet and the WLAN connections as static IP addresses hoping that might help. It has not.

Andyroo

Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:42 am

One test you could do is flash an SD card with Buster for the 3B+ and see if it is stable.

You then know if its the 4 hardware (if its stable) or the switch / config (if it fails)

Its possible to use the Pi 4 image on the 3B+ but starting again allows you to tweak any settings without impacting the 4.

Brad Q

Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:11 am

I am seeing a similar issue with the Ethernet connection. In my case it seems to "self heal" in a couple of minutes. Other Non internet things (play a local(on sd card) video seem fine). Running a Flirc case with a Pi4-4Gb connected to an asus router. Cables have been swapped out. Ports have been switched. Other devices (ethernet) all behaving normally. In my case I am starting to think that it may be a thermal issue. Ethernet has never(knock on wood) misbehaved when the cpu temp is 55C or lower. Which makes me wonder if the case is cooling the cpu but baking the USB chip. The ethernet does run through the USB chip?

Edit: as was point out to me in another thread, ethernet does NOT run through the USB chip.

LionmanTwo

Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:34 pm

I have moved the SD card from the 4 into the 3B+. All is working fine, though more slowly, of course. This leads me to believe it is a problem with the hardware or a driver for the hardware in the 4. Any other thoughts would be appreciated.

awesome_bob

Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:16 pm

I'm running two rpi4 as pi-holes, and both are having a similar problem.

They will work for minutes, hours, days, then all of a sudden they will be unreachable via network. The NIC still shows activity in terms of lights, but the unit is unresponsive. Removing the ethernet cable, and replacing it resolves the problem, but it eventually comes back.

Please advise!

champas

Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:09 am

This seems to be a network problem overall, the drop out behaviour happens on wifi or ethernet port. Has anyone found a solution for this?

awesome_bob

Tue Sep 08, 2020 4:49 pm

Come on, folks... This is pretty obviously a problem that affects multiple people, if a handful of us have made our way here to complain.

What are the steps for getting support on something like this? I'm happy to do some testing/troubleshooting, but seeing that it's very likely a driver issue, I don't know the first place to start.

A little help here would be GREAT!

pidd

Tue Sep 08, 2020 4:59 pm

awesome_bob wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 4:49 pm
Come on, folks... This is pretty obviously a problem that affects multiple people, if a handful of us have made our way here to complain.

What are the steps for getting support on something like this? I'm happy to do some testing/troubleshooting, but seeing that it's very likely a driver issue, I don't know the first place to start.

A little help here would be GREAT!
Its something that is very hard to diagnose without the hardware infront of you and doing a lot of swapping around or having a network analyser. Its also pretty unlikely that everybody's problems are just the one fault.

Does anything show up in journalctl or dmesg?

epoch1970

Tue Sep 08, 2020 5:23 pm

Reboot the infra
Use the official PSU on your Pi
Install a clean copy of raspios and configure nothing but wpa_supplicant if needed

98% it will work
1.999% something isn’t quite right in your infra
0.001% you’ve uncovered a driver or firmware bug.
"S'il n'y a pas de solution, c'est qu'il n'y a pas de problème." Les Shadoks, J. Rouxel

sh4d0000

Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:51 am

I have the same issue with ethernet and wifi. they drop randomly and often

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:03 pm

sh4d0000 wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:51 am
I have the same issue with ethernet and wifi. they drop randomly and often
check your power supply and cabling, Wireless systems use Radio transceivers which use a modulated (amplitude and phase modulated) HF signal, and small variations in the supply voltage directly influence the amplitude of the signal, and thus the encoded data.
If you give the PI a noisy power supply voltage that will directly cause transmission errors.
The same will also happen with ethernet, which also uses an analog modulated signal.

LTolledo

Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:21 pm

mahjongg wrote: the supply voltage directly influence the amplitude of the signal, and thus the encoded data.
If you give the PI a noisy power supply voltage that will directly cause transmission errors.
seeing this is quite reassuring for my buck converter RPi setups...like this RPi4B-4G desktop am using to post this reply..
why? I dont have the same symptoms as presented by the OP or the others complainants....
"Don't come to me with 'issues' for I don't know how to deal with those
Come to me with 'problems' and I'll help you find solutions"

Some people be like:
"Help me! Am drowning! But dont you dare touch me nor come near me!"

Idahowalker

Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:30 pm

I've experienced such behavior with the RPi3 and RPi4. To solve the issue was to, after the WiFi had connected, plug in the Ethernet cable, wait a few minutes, and unplug the Ethernet cable. For me, after I had completed the plug-in-take-plug-out thing, I've not experienced anymore WiFi disconnects.
Idaho, U.S.A.

funkydrummer

Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:11 am

I'm having similar problems. Changed to different Pi4-boards (all 4GB RAM and 32 GB SDRAM), either with our without PoE hat. Also used original Raspberry power supply instead of PoE. Didn't improve the situation. So I would at least exclude a hardware issue with a specific Pi-4 board. I'd assume it is a more generic issue.

I'm running OpenMediaVault 5.5.12 (usul) on top of Raspian Pi Lite (32-bit) Linux kernel 5.4.51v71+ , no WLAN, with Intenso 4TB USB hard-drive (with own power supply).

Behavior so far is totally unpredictable. Sometimes it is connected for hours, than the ethernet connection drops for minutes and comes back again, sometimes it needs a reboot. Time between disconnects varies as well.

Any idea how to track down and fix the root cause, would be appreciated.

pubudeux

Tue Nov 03, 2020 12:23 am

I'm having the same exact issue - tried a number of different things, including trying different operating systems, with/without peripherals, with PoE, without PoE, etc. Finally I tried switching out the case - I don't believe it's a thermal issue as CPU temp is never above 55.

Could PoE power be wonky? I have no issues with any other devices on my switch.

TardyLion

Mon Nov 09, 2020 7:05 pm

EDIT: Nope, it was the power supply not rated 3A. More research shows all sorts of anomalous behaviour using a power supply rated 2.4A max (most USB power adaptors are 2.4A max). Up to Pi 3 were perfectly fine on 2.4A, but it seems Pi 4 needs the extra juice for stable operation.

What's weird is the Pi 4 would boot fine and run for a while with the 2.4A PSU. It would even continue responding to pings while SSH had crashed, and recover later to work fine again.

;------------------------------

My problem and the solution I found may be unique, but posting in case it helps others.

My home file / Plex server was hosted on a Raspberry Pi 2B located in my utility cupboard. The proximity to the DB board and house's electrical feeder cable never caused an issue and the little server chugged along for months without issue.

Replacing the Pi with a 4 to benefit form Gigabit networking and USB 3 resulted in the same issues described in this thread i.e. network disconnects. Alternate switch ports, power supplies and network cables didn't fix the issue.

Moving the Pi to another location in the house however completely resolved the issue. I can only assume Pi 4 is more susceptible to electrical interference Pi 2.
Last edited by TardyLion on Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:03 am, edited 2 times in total.

pidd

Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:38 pm

As has been mentioned on another thread, I'd put my bets on the ethernet cable, the difference between the Pi4 and previous models is the Gigabit Ethernet which needs quality cable, genuine Cat 5e or above.

Ethernet on routers, switches and devices tends to work or not work, drop outs are usually cable related.

estallings15

Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:11 pm

I was having this same problem. I bought a powered USB 3.0 hub and used the 1.5A port on it to plug the SSD into. Problem solved for me. I have the official power supply. If you have any USB devices drawing a lot of power you might try using a powered hub for them.

I made an account just to post this because it's been driving me crazy and I wanted to spread the word.

Reddoug

Sat May 29, 2021 2:19 pm

Pi4 4GB booting from ssd.
I am having the same problem, I was noticing ssh would hang and then I would try and ping router and noticed intermittent packet drops. Now no lights on ethernet port and not light on switch port hooked to Pi4. I tried booting from sd card that I used to setup Pi before setting up ssd so that should eliminate OS problem. I had tried a different cable before when I 1st noticed packet loss. I did check for crc errors but Pi didn't show any.
Haven't yet hooked Pi to monitor since I run it headless, that's my next step. Pi is probably 2 yrs old. I have wireless disabled since I have Pi set with static IP on ethernet port.

Doug

ejolson

Sat May 29, 2021 2:58 pm

Reddoug wrote:
Sat May 29, 2021 2:19 pm
Pi4 4GB booting from ssd.
I am having the same problem, I was noticing ssh would hang and then I would try and ping router and noticed intermittent packet drops. Now no lights on ethernet port and not light on switch port hooked to Pi4. I tried booting from sd card that I used to setup Pi before setting up ssd so that should eliminate OS problem. I had tried a different cable before when I 1st noticed packet loss. I did check for crc errors but Pi didn't show any.
Haven't yet hooked Pi to monitor since I run it headless, that's my next step. Pi is probably 2 yrs old. I have wireless disabled since I have Pi set with static IP on ethernet port.

Doug
I'd try power cycling the switch; moving the cable to a different port on the switch and replacing the cable in that order.

lorenzoc

Tue Oct 05, 2021 7:00 am

It seems there is a known issue with EEE.

Running this once solved it for me:

Code: Select all

sudo ethtool --set-eee eth0 eee off

ejolson

Tue Oct 05, 2021 3:02 pm

lorenzoc wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 7:00 am
It seems there is a known issue with EEE.

Running this once solved it for me:

Code: Select all

sudo ethtool --set-eee eth0 eee off
This is an interesting setting I wish I had known when trying to resolve a network switch incompatibility after the Pi 4B first came out. After I find the old switch, I'll try the set-eee workaround. I wonder if that was the problem all along.

viewtopic.php?t=249861

Return to “Troubleshooting”