rwill_312

connect to hidden wifi

Mon Sep 02, 2019 12:42 pm

I have hidden my modem from discovery. i have followed all the online instructions for connecting rpi to wifi. yet the rpi cannot find or discover the modem. do i need to uncloak my wifi? or is there a way for me to config. rpi to see it?

Andyroo

Re: connect to hidden wifi

Mon Sep 02, 2019 3:10 pm

Welcome to the forum,

Putting aside the fact that hiding a network does not significantly increase security and causes Pi boards and their owners trouble, the way to connect to the hidden network requires the command line.

You need to edit /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf (as SUDO) and add

Code: Select all

scan_ssid=1
into the network data.

e.g.

Code: Select all

ctrl_interface=DIR=/var/run/wpa_supplicant GROUP=netdev
update_config=1
country=GB

network={
        ssid="your hidden SSID"
        scan_ssid=1
        psk="your password"
        key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
}
This is best done on the Pi using nano as the editor rather than Windows or a Mac BUT it can be done on these machines if you take care not to add line feeds or change the quotes.
You then put the file into the boot ‘disk’ on the PC/Mac and when the Pi boots it will use this file.

Obviously, you will need to change the country code to match your needs.

For info, the WiFi protocol transmits beacon packages from the AP with a blank SSID - this shows you that a hidden network is present but you do not know it’s name.
The device wanting to connect sends a ‘Are you there’ with the ‘hidden’ SSID in plain text out. (OK - this may be the wrong ID) :roll:
The return data from the AP then sends a ‘I am here’ packet back to the device if it sent the correct SSID - this again has the ‘hidden’ SSID in plain text in it. :roll:
Great security - NOT :lol:

Save yourself issues - go visible with a decent security setting :lol:

Return to “Networking and servers”