Rascas

Re: [Guide] Kodi on Raspberry Pi OS / Raspbian Buster

Thu Jan 28, 2021 1:02 am

gmeier wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:09 pm
I didn't change anything on graphic drivers, so I guess i am using the one the os is defaulting to. Could the error occur because I am using a headless setup?
Here is the log:
https://paste.kodi.tv/calolefifa.kodi
Yes, Kodi on the RPi4 doesn't work through VNC. Kodi also isn't meant to be used headless.

Blackeagle

Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:39 pm

One question about Kodi, if I start Kodi, will I be able to run another programs? The only reason I want kodi is to be able to run Spotify on the Raspberry Pi 4 and then being able to use one of the smart mirrors programs that are out there.

Powershell

Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:54 pm

I'm pretty content with Kodi 18.7 on Pi 3, but would like to ask the same question as the gentleman before me:

What is the reason for version 18.9 being absent in the repos?

Or has anyone succeeded with building his own binaries?

mowman

Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:37 pm

I want to report that a recent update regressed Kodi playback on my RPi2. 720p playback became a bit choppy, and 1080p50 (which had been smooth for years since I created the disable_auto_turbo=0 fix) produced extreme stuttering.

I'd recently upgraded the following packages:
device-tree-compiler file geoclue-2.0 iproute2 libgnutls-openssl27 libgnutls30 libldap-2.4-2 libldap-common libmagic-mgc libmagic1 libpq5 libraspberrypi-bin libraspberrypi-dev libraspberrypi-doc libraspberrypi0 libsnmp-base libsnmp30 node-ini node-y18n raspberrypi-bootloader raspberrypi-kernel raspberrypi-kernel-headers unzip wireguard-dkms
base-files libnss-systemd libpam-systemd libsystemd0 libudev1 raspberrypi-sys-mods systemd systemd-sysv udev
nodered pcmanfm
I guessed the kernel was the culprit and tried to downgrade from 5.10.11 to 5.4.81 using with sudo rpi-update 453e49bdd87325369b462b40e809d5f3187df21d, which unfortunately rendered my system unbootable.

max11

Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:51 pm

Record button on 'Radio'

Playing TV and pressing the white 'Record' button there is on-screen information that the recording has started, the button turns red and additionally there is a red point on screen.

Playing Radio and pressing the white 'Record' button there is only the on-screen information. The button remains white, no additional point on the screen.

I would like to have the red button recording Radio too.(If this is possible ;-) )

(Kodi 18.7 on Rpi 3B+ and Rpi4 4GB)

Rascas

Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:20 am

Powershell wrote:
I'm pretty content with Kodi 18.7 on Pi 3, but would like to ask the same question as the gentleman before me:

The reason is a mix of many things. First, I am having a lot of work in this time of this pandemic, that is the main reason. Second, Kodi 18.7 also works fine for me, I use it almost every day at night on 2 of my RPi 3, and 18.9 brings almost no changes especially for the RPi, not even bug fixes. And third, Kodi 19 is already in the final stages, it is in Release Candidate area, so it shouldn't take long for the final release. Since there won't be anymore 18.X releases I think I will only take a look at it again when it is really close to the final release.

Rascas

Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:29 am

mowman wrote:
I want to report that a recent update regressed Kodi playback on my RPi2. 720p playback became a bit choppy, and 1080p50 (which had been smooth for years since I created the disable_auto_turbo=0 fix) produced extreme stuttering.

I'd recently upgraded the following packages:
device-tree-compiler file geoclue-2.0 iproute2 libgnutls-openssl27 libgnutls30 libldap-2.4-2 libldap-common libmagic-mgc libmagic1 libpq5 libraspberrypi-bin libraspberrypi-dev libraspberrypi-doc libraspberrypi0 libsnmp-base libsnmp30 node-ini node-y18n raspberrypi-bootloader raspberrypi-kernel raspberrypi-kernel-headers unzip wireguard-dkms
base-files libnss-systemd libpam-systemd libsystemd0 libudev1 raspberrypi-sys-mods systemd systemd-sysv udev
nodered pcmanfm
I guessed the kernel was the culprit and tried to downgrade from 5.10.11 to 5.4.81 using with sudo rpi-update 453e49bdd87325369b462b40e809d5f3187df21d, which unfortunately rendered my system unbootable.
Which video codecs are you trying to play ? That's very important since it seems that kernel 5.10 as bug that prevents proper h265 playback on RPI 2/3 or even breaks it completely. I am still on kernel 5.4, and that works fine so I can't talk much about it but you have more information here: https://github.com/raspberrypi/linux/issues/4112

PS: Don't remember exactly how you can do it, but you can downgrade the kernel manually only changing the files on the first partition (the FAT one) of the SDcard. Do a little of searching in this forums it shouldn't be hard to find topics about it.
Last edited by Rascas on Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rascas

Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:32 am

max11 wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:51 pm
Record button on 'Radio'

Playing TV and pressing the white 'Record' button there is on-screen information that the recording has started, the button turns red and additionally there is a red point on screen.

Playing Radio and pressing the white 'Record' button there is only the on-screen information. The button remains white, no additional point on the screen.

I would like to have the red button recording Radio too.(If this is possible ;-) )

(Kodi 18.7 on Rpi 3B+ and Rpi4 4GB)
This kind of questions are better asked in the official Kodi forums: https://forum.kodi.tv/
You should also provide more information like for example, which addon/PVR you are using.

mowman

Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:49 am

Rascas wrote:
mowman wrote:
Which video codecs are you trying to play ?
This was all regarding h264. I can add that playback of 480p seemed fine.

Rascas

Sat Feb 13, 2021 2:01 am

mowman wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:49 am
Rascas wrote:
mowman wrote:
Which video codecs are you trying to play ?
This was all regarding h264. I can add that playback of 480p seemed fine.
Please check if you still have hardware video decoding enabled. 480p should work fine on the RPi 2 even without hardware video decoding enabled so I am guessing that may be your problem. A Kodi debug log may help to see what's your problem: https://kodi.wiki/view/Log_file
Anyway, for people using Kodi at least on RPi < 4, I recommend that you don't use/upgrade to kernel 5.10 for now.

mowman

Sat Feb 13, 2021 4:02 am

I'm sure that 720p wouldn't have played as well as is it did if hardware decoding was not enabled. My significant other didn't even notice. My backup SD card was still on Stretch, and if I rebuild my Buster install, I won't be testing kernel 5.10 again until I find reports from others that have tried it first. Although I don't expect many are still running a Pi 2.

Aardappeltaart

Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:58 am

Rascas wrote:
Powershell wrote:

The reason is a mix of many things. First, I am having a lot of work in this time of this pandemic, that is the main reason. Second, Kodi 18.7 also works fine for me, I use it almost every day at night on 2 of my RPi 3, and 18.9 brings almost no changes especially for the RPi, not even bug fixes. And third, Kodi 19 is already in the final stages, it is in Release Candidate area, so it shouldn't take long for the final release. Since there won't be anymore 18.X releases I think I will only take a look at it again when it is really close to the final release.
See also:
https://libreelec.tv/2021/02/upcoming-changes/

I guess RPI2/3 users are better of using LibreElec 9.2 for Kodi, HEVC support is lost (for now) in newer Kodi and kernel versions on RPI2/3.

On PI4, the Buster and Kodi are still working fine with 5.10 kernel.

Rascas

Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:39 am

Aardappeltaart wrote:
Rascas wrote:
Powershell wrote:

See also:

I guess RPI2/3 users are better of using LibreElec 9.2 for Kodi, HEVC support is lost (for now) in newer Kodi and kernel versions on RPI2/3.

Well, for me this is unacceptable. Since my main RPi use is Kodi, I prefer to stay and/or downgrade the kernel for now which is the same.
If that isn't going to change anytime sooner, maybe it is time to upgrade to something better.

timothyjward

Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:24 am

Kodi 19 is now released. I would like to use it on my Pi 4 with Raspberry Pi OS. I am happy to upgrade to 5.10 kernel, but I would prefer not to compile Kodi myself as I don’t want to mess with my media centre more than necessary (installing the build tools/dependencies pulls in a lot of stuff!).

What are my options? Is there a Debian repo I can use, or perhaps a third party repo? Buster backports doesn’t have it, and the Debian Sid version obviously makes use of a bunch of dependencies that would break my Buster install...

I have found http://www.deb-multimedia.org/dists/sta ... ckage/kodi - is this legitimate?

fruitoftheloom

Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:57 am

timothyjward wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:24 am
Kodi 19 is now released. I would like to use it on my Pi 4 with Raspberry Pi OS. I am happy to upgrade to 5.10 kernel, but I would prefer not to compile Kodi myself as I don’t want to mess with my media centre more than necessary (installing the build tools/dependencies pulls in a lot of stuff!).

What are my options? Is there a Debian repo I can use, or perhaps a third party repo? Buster backports doesn’t have it, and the Debian Sid version obviously makes use of a bunch of dependencies that would break my Buster install...

I have found http://www.deb-multimedia.org/dists/sta ... ckage/kodi - is this legitimate?

Raspberry Pi Operating System with update / full-upgrade has Kernel 5.10

You are not running Debian Buster, Raspberry Pi ARMHF Operating System is based of Raspbian Operating System which is a fork of Debian.

http://www.deb-multimedia.org

It is a 3rd party site and not affiliated with Debian, use at your own risk.
Take what I advise as advice not the utopian holy grail, and it is gratis !!

bscphil

Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:20 pm

Rascas wrote:
Well, for me this is unacceptable. Since my main RPi use is Kodi, I prefer to stay and/or downgrade the kernel for now which is the same.
If that isn't going to change anytime sooner, maybe it is time to upgrade to something better.
Does this mean you won't be working on 19.0, since it's not compatible with the devices you use?

On that note, has anyone achieved a replicable set of build steps for Kodi? I'm more than happy to build it myself, but last time I tried it seemed pretty broken.

Rascas

Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:13 pm

bscphil wrote:
Rascas wrote:
Does this mean you won't be working on 19.0, since it's not compatible with the devices you use?

On that note, has anyone achieved a replicable set of build steps for Kodi? I'm more than happy to build it myself, but last time I tried it seemed pretty broken.
I will take a look at Kodi 19 on the upcoming days.
In my earlier posts about Kodi 18 I meantioned lack of time, but I never said that I would drop support for this Kodi packages.Thing is, I was already seeing this coming because I am up to par on this, and that is also one of the reasons for the lack of interest.
I have all kinds of Raspberry Pis, since the beginning, I still have one of the first editions on my "museum" with 256 of RAM.
Thing is, if you still have RPi 2/3 working as a media center/nas/retro gaming whatever, getting things cut because they are moving to open source for me is a bummmer. This is like upgrading to something worst. What is my motivation in upgrading to something worse and can't do anything about that? That is the thing that the RPis devs have to explain. And for what I see, you will never get h265 support on the RPi 2/3 again.
About RPi 0/1 support, it looks like it ended. Again, you can't do anything about that, but that at least that is understandable, it just doesn't cope whit it.
About RPi 4, which was launched pretty much 2 years ago already, even still you can't get abilities claimed at launch time, and you will still won't, at least for the near future. if you are looking for proper HDR and HBR audio passtgrough, forget it, it won't happen anytime soon, tine schedule is Kodi 20, wich won't in at least one more year.
Well, now you can see my disappointment with RPi/Kodi development.

Rascas

Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:18 pm

bscphil wrote:
Rascas wrote:

I don't know anyone else that builds Kodi packages for the RPi, but you can always try to build it yourself. And if you are sussecefull to build it, you will probably still find it pretty broken. There is no miracles. That's the problem...

Rascas

Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:56 pm

Oh, and I was forgetting the thing that bothers me the most on the RPi 4. You can't seek h264. This is a problem that begun with the first versions of Kodi 19 abd still hasn't a solution. Well it is has a workaround which to disable hardware decoding for h264....

bscphil

Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:44 am

Rascas wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:56 pm
Oh, and I was forgetting the thing that bothers me the most on the RPi 4. You can't seek h264. This is a problem that begun with the first versions of Kodi 19 abd still hasn't a solution. Well it is has a workaround which to disable hardware decoding for h264....
Hmm. I'm not seeing this issue. I assume you mean when you're playing a film and you pull up the interface with your remote or control device, and highlight the progress bar, you're not able to drag it to the left or right? It works fine for me, with the Kodi 19.0 release version. There's a ton of jank for 5-10 seconds as the video "resyncs" (they don't "pause and rebuffer", which I think was the previous default?), but it does work for me.

In any case I agree with your other statements, especially HDR. I predicted that would be a long time coming when the Pi 4 was released and unfortunately turned out to be right on that point. Couple that with my issues decoding VP9 and the occasional frame drop... overall my experience using the Pi 4 as a media platform has not been fantastic.

Anyway, I want to thank you for your hard work in building and distributing Kodi for the Pi over the years. You're certainly not obligated to continue doing that.

All that said, I did get a 19.0 build working pretty easily. The Pi build has been merged with their standard Linux GBM build so it all sort of just works now with no patches. Performance seems pretty good so far but I haven't tested extensively.

Basic instructions (assumes you've followed the rascas guidelines before, e.g. adding the pi user to the right groups, etc.).

Code: Select all

sudo apt install                                                     \
autoconf automake autopoint autotools-dev cmake cpp curl default-jre \
g++ gawk gcc gdc gettext gperf libasound2-dev libass-dev             \
libavahi-client-dev libavahi-common-dev libbluetooth-dev             \
libbluray-dev libbz2-dev libcdio-dev libcec4 libcec-dev              \
libcrossguid-dev libcurl4-openssl-dev libcwiid-dev libdbus-1-dev     \
libdrm-dev libegl1-mesa-dev libenca-dev libflac-dev libfmt3-dev      \
libfontconfig-dev libfreetype6-dev libfribidi-dev libfstrcmp-dev     \
libgbm-dev libgcrypt-dev libgif-dev libgles2-mesa-dev libglew-dev    \
libglu1-mesa-dev libgnutls28-dev libgpg-error-dev libgtest-dev       \
libinput-dev libiso9660-dev libjpeg-dev liblcms2-dev liblirc-dev     \
libltdl-dev liblzo2-dev libmariadb-dev libmicrohttpd-dev libnfs-dev  \
libogg-dev libomxil-bellagio-dev libpcre3-dev libplist-dev           \
libpng-dev libpulse-dev libshairplay-dev libsmbclient-dev            \
libsqlite3-dev libssl-dev libtag1-dev libtiff5-dev libtinyxml-dev    \
libtool libudev-dev libunistring-dev libva-dev libvdpau-dev          \
libvorbis-dev libxkbcommon-dev libxmu-dev libxrandr-dev libxslt1-dev \
libxt-dev lsb-release meson nasm ninja-build python3-dev python3-pil \
python-support rapidjson-dev swig unzip uuid-dev wayland-protocols   \
yasm zip zlib1g-dev

wget https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/archive/19.0-Matrix.tar.gz
tar xf 19.0-Matrix.tar.gz
mkdir kodi-build && cd kodi-build

cmake ../xbmc-19.0-Matrix -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/usr/local \
-DCORE_PLATFORM_NAME=gbm -DAPP_RENDER_SYSTEM=gles \
-DX11_RENDER_SYSTEM=gles -DENABLE_INTERNAL_FMT=ON \
-DENABLE_INTERNAL_FLATBUFFERS=ON \
-DENABLE_INTERNAL_SPDLOG=ON

cmake --build . -- VERBOSE=1 -j$(getconf _NPROCESSORS_ONLN)
This is mostly based on this forum thread. If you get a failure in the configure or linking stages let me know, there's probably a library I'm missing and I can update the instructions accordingly.

Note: I strongly recommend not building this directly on the Pi with an SD card. The dependencies and source code alone will run close to a GB of data, and compiling software uses a lot of IO so this will put heavy stress on your card. I wouldn't expect it to survive the trip. Use an external disk or netbooted Pi instead. (I actually built it using systemd-nspawn on a server with qemu, so the Pi was not involved in the build process for me at all.)

If you're building this yourself I don't really see a point in installing it, so I've left out that step. You can just run it directly from the kodi-build folder. I suggest making a backup of your config (~/.kodi) before running it the first time just to be safe. (If you do decide to install it don't forget to remove the existing Kodi packages first.)

I could make a deb pretty easily if there's a ton of interest, but you probably shouldn't be trusting me anyway, I'm just a random person on a forum! And I'm not sure I want the responsibility of updating it for point releases...

Aardappeltaart

Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:45 am

Rascas wrote:
Aardappeltaart wrote:
Rascas wrote:

See also:

I'm absolutely grateful for the work you've done in this thread. I use Kodi/XBMC since the first Pi, and always used LibreElec/OpenElec and especially the Millhouse builds for best performance. LibreElec offered enough plugins/addons to run everything I wanted: tvheadend, mpd, etc.

I'm impressed what HEVC performance the developers eventually got out of a PI3, without real HW-support. Can't be done, everybody said, well it could be done with a lot of optimizing code. My RPI3+ nearly played all FHD HEVC or HEVC DVB-t 50fps fine with a little overclock in the end.

Since Pi4 I use Kodi on Buster, because the Pi4 is capable of doing more than just run Kodi, and thanks to your work, Kodi on Buster is running as fine as LibreElec.

I'm happy with that, I don't see any performance degrades since updating to the 5.10 kernel.

I think the main problem for slow support are patents, proprietary drivers ,and blobs. They have to be reverse-engineered, and that is a time-consuming effort. Read more about in the link above.

Being pragmatic I would say:
- LibreElec 9.2 for Kodi on < RPI4
- Buster with Kodi on for >= RPI4

I doubt trying to use an old kernel on a fully updated Buster is the way to go.

timothyjward

Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:39 am

bscphil wrote:
I could make a deb pretty easily if there's a ton of interest, but you probably shouldn't be trusting me anyway, I'm just a random person on a forum! And I'm not sure I want the responsibility of updating it for point releases...
I would be interested in a working set of backported debs, even if I have to build them myself. I tried getting the Debian Kodi 19 build running back ported to Buster. I found that I had to build a few dependencies from source as the buster versions are too old.
The Kodi I build did run (I edited the Debian rules to use gles) but performance was awful. Approx 1fps for SD h264 on my pi 4. I’m guessing that this is because the ffmpeg I had to build isn’t properly patched/compiled for Pi4 HW decode support.

Is there a way for me to make this work? There seem to be a lot of forks of ffmpeg, and even more compile option lists. I just want one that works as well as the default Raspberry Pi version, but that can be used with Kodi 19.

bscphil

Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:00 am

timothyjward wrote:
bscphil wrote:
I would be interested in a working set of backported debs, even if I have to build them myself. I tried getting the Debian Kodi 19 build running back ported to Buster. I found that I had to build a few dependencies from source as the buster versions are too old.
The Kodi I build did run (I edited the Debian rules to use gles) but performance was awful. Approx 1fps for SD h264 on my pi 4. I’m guessing that this is because the ffmpeg I had to build isn’t properly patched/compiled for Pi4 HW decode support.

Is there a way for me to make this work? There seem to be a lot of forks of ffmpeg, and even more compile option lists. I just want one that works as well as the default Raspberry Pi version, but that can be used with Kodi 19.
Sorry, not sure I follow. What exactly needs to be backported? You can just build Kodi 19 on Raspbian Buster directly. I didn't backport a single library to get it working, it builds with the repo libraries just fine. Give my instructions a shot and you might get a build that just works.

I'm getting hardware acceleration too, by the way. If anything performance is better than it was with the Kodi 18 build.

-DCORE_PLATFORM_NAME=gbm -DAPP_RENDER_SYSTEM=gles -DX11_RENDER_SYSTEM=gles
seems to be all that's needed to get an accelerated build on the Pi these days, no patches required. (Haven't tested HEVC or 4K because I don't use either.)

Rascas

Sat Feb 27, 2021 12:12 pm

To compile Kodi by yourself you shouldn't need to backport anything but you will probably need to compile also libcec at least if you want everything to work. You also need to compile the binary addons if you use any of them. It should be easier to compile than the previous versions.

Performance on Pi 4 should be about the same, besides the new changes on Kodi 19, there is not much difference from Kodi 18 which already used GBM, only the video path changed from MMAL to V4L2, but MMAL was working fine. Kodi 19 has initial HBR passthrough and HDR, but the later is expected to only fully work on Kodi 20.
Performance on lower Pis should be inferior as some features are lost. On Pi 0/1 Kodi 19 will probably be unusable.

timothyjward

Sat Feb 27, 2021 6:58 pm

bscphil wrote:
Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:00 am
timothyjward wrote:

Sorry, not sure I follow. What exactly needs to be backported? You can just build Kodi 19 on Raspbian Buster directly. I didn't backport a single library to get it working, it builds with the repo libraries just fine. Give my instructions a shot and you might get a build that just works.

I'm getting hardware acceleration too, by the way. If anything performance is better than it was with the Kodi 18 build.

-DCORE_PLATFORM_NAME=gbm -DAPP_RENDER_SYSTEM=gles -DX11_RENDER_SYSTEM=gles
seems to be all that's needed to get an accelerated build on the Pi these days, no patches required. (Haven't tested HEVC or 4K because I don't use either.)
Ok, so I grabbed the source tarball for Kodi 19 from Debian unstable (I want an installable deb) and it required me to have wayland, ffmpeg, libcdio libmysofa libpocketsphinx libdc1394 and libsrt, all at versions not available for buster.

Ffmpeg, for example, is required at 4.3, while the raspbian version is 4.1.

Return to “Raspberry Pi OS”