L0naaa

Can't copy large files (RPI + SMB + HDD)

Mon Dec 16, 2019 1:32 pm

Hi,
I am unable to copy larger files (above ~500MB) from my laptop or PC to my samba share folder that is on an external HDD connected to my raspberry pi.
FTP works like a charm, however when copying via samba (either as a mapped drive or via local network) it starts "calculating" and after a while it gives me error message "Error 0x8007003B: An unexpected network error ocurred"
I have not tested the file size 'breaking point' but was able to copy files below 500MB. Found 2 topics with similar issues fixed with new code releases I believe (tried as well) or by HW replacement. I am not 100% sure but I believe this used to work in the past.
A any guidance on how to troubleshoot this would be greatly appreciated. Setup below

A. Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+ (a020d3)
A1. Linux raspberrypi 4.19.75-v7+ #1270 SMP Tue Sep 24 18:45:11 BST 2019 armv7l GNU/Linux
A2. Ethernet connection to 1Gbps router port
A3. Samba server and client installed, used for a while
A4. Samba Share folder in external HDD (NTFS) connected via USB

B. External HDD (NTFS) has its own power supply

C. Windows8.1 PC connected via wifi or cable to the router (tried both options, tried with multiple PCs - Win10 for example)
C1. Samba share mapped into windows as a mapped drive

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: Can't copy large files (RPI + SMB + HDD)

Mon Dec 16, 2019 3:25 pm

FTP working implies the net connection is OK, I think you may just be encountering a ancient problem with the windows file manager copy being just a bit rubbish? What version of Windows are you using? Might be worth a google to see if its been fixed at some point.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Working in the Applications Team.

L0naaa

Mon Dec 16, 2019 4:49 pm

jamesh wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 3:25 pm
FTP working implies the net connection is OK, I think you may just be encountering a ancient problem with the windows file manager copy being just a bit rubbish? What version of Windows are you using? Might be worth a google to see if its been fixed at some point.
Windows 8.1 with latest updates, tried windows 10 with latest updates as well. same results with both.
I have the same issue when copying with total commander - although the error message is different: "Error Cannot Write <filename> . Please remove the file protection"
Which makes no sense at all, as I have access rights to the folder, smaller files are working fine

LTolledo

Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:07 pm

some test that I did:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... y#p1343802

if 4GB is "too small", and a two switch-hub route is "too short", just tell me and I'll arrange to transfer a bigger file, on a longer route.... :mrgreen:
"Don't come to me with 'issues' for I don't know how to deal with those
Come to me with 'problems' and I'll help you find solutions"

Some people be like:
"Help me! Am drowning! But dont you dare touch me nor come near me!"

Return to “Troubleshooting”