lazysod

C64 Vice & Pi4 raspbian

Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:55 am

Hi All
I'm new here and I thought I'd start a thread close to my heart. I'm Linux literate but I've only had a Pi for a month now, and loving it as a second computer. This is my third edit of this post. I hope it helps others. It took me a considerable amount of test installs and research to finally be able to get the latest versions of Vice installed. Here are my findings.

First I did this on a fresh install of 2020-02-05-raspbian-buster-full.

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get --yes upgrade
Then we need to install the minimum essentials to build vice3.3 or vice3.4

sudo apt-get --yes install  flex bison xa65 libasound2-dev libsdl2-dev texinfo
Download vice3.3 or vice3.4 your choice. I found vice3.4 has issues with Ultima.
untar it and then open a terminal inside the extracted directory. This will take a short time.

./configure --without-pulse --with-alsa 
The next stage is to make, this will take aprox half an hour. I never timed it.

make
Once that is done without errors, it needs to be installed.

sudo make install

There ya go, ready to use.

I personally found 3.4 unusable because it won't load vsf files and when I loaded Ultima 1 it acted like it was on steroids. Each key press was like a dozen presses. I turned off warp. Even made it play at 50%. No difference. I did a little search on my issues but found no information. I am very happy with my tests of 3.3 so I think I'll stick with it.

If anyone installs 3.4 and finds out how to load vsf files and finds a fix for Ultima 1 on steroids, I'd love to hear.
Don't miss the donut by looking through the hole.

BenRandomNameHere

Re: C64 Vice & Pi4 raspbian

Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:25 pm

I am going to try your steps. Very happy to find your post! Timely!

:)

Thank you

Update: Works beautifully! Thank you!!

lazysod

Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:30 am

Thank you BenRandomNameHere

It is nice to get feedback, especially when it is good feedback. :D
Don't miss the donut by looking through the hole.

Moonmarch

Sun Mar 01, 2020 12:04 am

I started using the Vice emulator I have to admit DOSBox took me at least a year to understand how to use the software I used to always launched DOS games from the Good Old Games Galaxy launcher on Windows PC, until I started using the RPI computer you have access to DOSBox to use DOSBox you need to know how to use DOS the same with Commodore 64, people use Retropie OS or Lakka OS for emulators here is what people do not know about emulators you can install emulators yourself on Raspbian.

I'm still trying to figure out the Vice emulator the Vice emulator includes several different machines that you either need to configure or launch very confusing in comparison to DOSBox, which can auto detect what hardware to use based on the game that you are using with the emulator, the hardware parameters can be adjusted manually.

scruss

Sun Mar 01, 2020 12:54 am

Thanks, lazysod — a fair bit of work went into this.

VICE does have a way to define multiple disk sets and (IIRC) hardware tweaks for specific games, Moonmarch - but it does take a lot of work to get there. I'm guessing that the pre-packaged settings for dosbox (which I've never seen on Linux - but then, I don't game on PCs) rely on other people having done the work before.

VICE's x64, xpet, xvic, xplus4 and x128 separate executables make sense since C= never attempted cross-compatibility across their machines, apart from the 128. It's just a pain that Cloanto claim IP rights to the ROMs still and make the installation more difficult than it needs to be.

Update, August 2020: process still seems to work. One thing missing from this whole thread: you can download the VICE source here — VICE - the Versatile Commodore Emulator
‘Remember the Golden Rule of Selling: “Do not resort to violence.”’ — McGlashan.
Pronouns: he/him

BroeckSt

Fri Nov 06, 2020 1:51 pm

Hello,

I just tried this advice on my new RasPi 400. It worked. At least I didn't see any error messages.
But I have no clue, how now to start the emulation. Is there a possibility to make an icon for - let's say - the C-64?

- Stephan (absolute new to Linux/Raspbian)

Return to “Gaming”