raspberry_user

Is Raspberry Pi 4 Model B fully backward compatible with Pi 3 Model B and B+?

Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:41 pm

Hi, I am new to Raspberry Pi. I am considering to follow some projects which used Raspberry Pi 3 Model B or B+ developed by other users. Will there be a problem if I use the Pi 4 Model B instead? Will I need to modify their programs and perhaps also make some hardware changes?

hippy

Re: Is Raspberry Pi 4 Model B fully backward compatible with Pi 3 Model B and B+?

Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:24 pm

Depends on what the programs are and how they interface to hardware. If done through libraries you should be okay so long as they are 4B compatible. If direct access you may have to make some changes.

raspberry_user

Re: Is Raspberry Pi 4 Model B fully backward compatible with Pi 3 Model B and B+?

Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:12 am

I have used Arduino before. Don't know how easy or difficult it is to port projects for Pi3 Model B or B+ to Pi 4 B. On the safe side, is it better to just buy the older 3B or 3B+ version even they are outdated and not the much cheaper than the 4B?

How about compatibility between Pi3 Model B and B+? Supposing that I want to work on two projects. One was developed using the Pi 3B and the other using the Pi3 3B+. If I buy the 3B+, can it be used for projects developed for 3B?

hippy

Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:00 pm

In general all Pi's are compatible with each other, programs which run on one will run on any other providing they don't use anything which is Pi variant specific.

I have devloped Python programs under Windows which run on a Pi 3B and also on a Zero W, and should run on any Pi.

plugwash
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:45 pm

The pi4 is probably the biggest change the Pi lineup has seen since it's initial release.

As with all Pi models you will need to be running a kernel and firmware that is sufficiently new, however with the pi4 there is another issue, 3D graphics. The videocore 4 3D core has been replaced with a videocore 6 one and the new 3D core is not supported in "legacy" mode. It is only supported through the mesa-based stack and it needs a pretty recent version of mesa. Practically speaking that means you can't use 3D graphics on a Pi4 with anything older than buster (and even then, raspberry pi had to backport stuff) and 3D apps written for the legacy stack will need to be adjusted to work with mesa.

raspberry_user

Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:07 pm

Thank you. I plan to use the Pi to try out other people's projects on controlling motors. Like Pi--->USB--->Controller board-->Motors. No plan for 3D graphics application. Do you expect it to be as simple as just replacing the Pi3B/PiB+ by Pi4?

I found Arduino very easy to use but Beagleboard very difficult. Can't even get its wifi connection working. How is the level of difficulty in using the Pi?

davidcoton

Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:44 pm

raspberry_user wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:07 pm
How is the level of difficulty in using the Pi?
Getting the Pi to work -- easy (usually).
Getting it to do things exactly when and how you want --- varies from trivial to almost impossible.
YMMV.
Location: 345th cell on the right of the 210th row of L2 cache

Return to “Beginners”