sim_tcr
Posts: 338
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:01 pm
Location: Bangalore
Contact: Website

APC PowerChute for raspberry pi.

Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:57 pm

Hello,

I have got a APC Back-UPS ES 500 and its got Data port (so that we can connect it to computer and do power management). APC provides a software named PowerChute for this purpose. I could find this software for windows only.
Is there any other software available for the same purpose which we can install in debian (raspbian)?

Thanks,
Simon Mandy
http://raspisimon.no-ip.org
Raspberry Pi Model B x 2, Raspberry Pi 2 x 2, Transcend 32GB Class 10, Transcend 16GB Class 10, Transcend 8GB Class 4, Custom 12V 1.5A (stepped down to 5.5V)

User avatar
terrycarlin
Posts: 70
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:42 pm

Re: APC PowerChute for raspberry pi.

Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:39 pm

There is an open source project to provide a PowerChute like program for APC UPS.
Link to source: http://sourceforge.net/projects/power/f ... 0.2.tar.gz

Check it out and see if it meets your requirements.
If it ain't broke, take it apart and see how it works.

sim_tcr
Posts: 338
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:01 pm
Location: Bangalore
Contact: Website

Re: APC PowerChute for raspberry pi.

Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:45 pm

terrycarlin wrote:There is an open source project to provide a PowerChute like program for APC UPS.
Link to source: http://sourceforge.net/projects/power/f ... 0.2.tar.gz

Check it out and see if it meets your requirements.
I downloaded that and extracted. Now I have a folder named powerd-2.0.2 and so many files under it (looks like source code). As usual I did 'make' and got error message "make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found. Stop."
How do install the program?
http://raspisimon.no-ip.org
Raspberry Pi Model B x 2, Raspberry Pi 2 x 2, Transcend 32GB Class 10, Transcend 16GB Class 10, Transcend 8GB Class 4, Custom 12V 1.5A (stepped down to 5.5V)

pjc123
Posts: 921
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:37 pm
Contact: Website

Re: APC PowerChute for raspberry pi.

Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:08 pm

A quick Google brings up apcupsd (UPS software for APC on armel Debian Squeeze, Wheezy or sid).
My Raspberry Pi Project Page:

https://www.flaminghellmet.com/launch/

User avatar
terrycarlin
Posts: 70
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:42 pm

Re: APC PowerChute for raspberry pi.

Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:06 pm

sim_tcr wrote:
terrycarlin wrote:There is an open source project to provide a PowerChute like program for APC UPS.
Link to source: http://sourceforge.net/projects/power/f ... 0.2.tar.gz

Check it out and see if it meets your requirements.
I downloaded that and extracted. Now I have a folder named powerd-2.0.2 and so many files under it (looks like source code). As usual I did 'make' and got error message "make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found. Stop."
How do install the program?
Standard open source method. cd into the source directory then:

Code: Select all

./configure
make install
The ./configure step sets up a make file that will work for your device.
The make install will build the software and install it.
After the install finishes, you can do a

Code: Select all

man powerd

to see how to use it.
If it ain't broke, take it apart and see how it works.

sim_tcr
Posts: 338
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:01 pm
Location: Bangalore
Contact: Website

Re: APC PowerChute for raspberry pi.

Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:52 am

I found another one called apcupsd. opened new thread at http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 63&t=26695
http://raspisimon.no-ip.org
Raspberry Pi Model B x 2, Raspberry Pi 2 x 2, Transcend 32GB Class 10, Transcend 16GB Class 10, Transcend 8GB Class 4, Custom 12V 1.5A (stepped down to 5.5V)

milhouse
Posts: 642
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:59 pm

Re: APC PowerChute for raspberry pi.

Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:14 am

sim_tcr wrote:Hello,

I have got a APC Back-UPS ES 500 and its got Data port (so that we can connect it to computer and do power management). APC provides a software named PowerChute for this purpose. I could find this software for windows only.
Is there any other software available for the same purpose which we can install in debian (raspbian)?

Thanks,
Simon Mandy
Have you tried installing Network UPS Tools (apt-get install nut)? This should work with the ES 500 using the usbhid-ups driver.

NUT will monitor the status of the UPS over USB, and shut down the host device when the UPS switches to on battery and/or when the battery is low (typically 10% run time remaining, though this is configurable). Any other networked devices that are running the nut-client (there is a Windows version available) would be considered as slaves to the Pi UPS "master", and would be instructed by the Pi over the network to gracefully shutdown when required, so you can UPS protect multiple devices using NUT with your ES 500.

milhouse
Posts: 642
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:59 pm

Re: APC PowerChute for raspberry pi.

Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:15 am

sim_tcr wrote:I found another one called apcupsd. opened new thread at http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 63&t=26695
I'm guessing that's not the right link... :)

sim_tcr
Posts: 338
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:01 pm
Location: Bangalore
Contact: Website

Re: APC PowerChute for raspberry pi.

Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:28 am

milhouse wrote:
sim_tcr wrote:I found another one called apcupsd. opened new thread at http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 63&t=26695
I'm guessing that's not the right link... :)
Cannot edit my original reply. Here is the correct one http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 63&t=26713
http://raspisimon.no-ip.org
Raspberry Pi Model B x 2, Raspberry Pi 2 x 2, Transcend 32GB Class 10, Transcend 16GB Class 10, Transcend 8GB Class 4, Custom 12V 1.5A (stepped down to 5.5V)

pjc123
Posts: 921
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:37 pm
Contact: Website

Re: APC PowerChute for raspberry pi.

Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:46 am

sim_tcr wrote:I found another one called apcupsd.
Hello.......I told you about this yesterday.
My Raspberry Pi Project Page:

https://www.flaminghellmet.com/launch/

sim_tcr
Posts: 338
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:01 pm
Location: Bangalore
Contact: Website

Re: APC PowerChute for raspberry pi.

Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:54 am

pjc123 wrote:
sim_tcr wrote:I found another one called apcupsd.
Hello.......I told you about this yesterday.
yes . I missed that post. thank you anyway.
http://raspisimon.no-ip.org
Raspberry Pi Model B x 2, Raspberry Pi 2 x 2, Transcend 32GB Class 10, Transcend 16GB Class 10, Transcend 8GB Class 4, Custom 12V 1.5A (stepped down to 5.5V)

Return to “General discussion”