Jakob76

Installing Folding@Home client to fight Corona/COVID-19

Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:04 pm

Hello

I would like to join the good fight against the Corona-virus COVID-19 by installing Folding@Home’s free client software.

https://foldingathome.org/covid19/

The objective is to calculate protein folding in order to understand the viral proteins of COVID-19 and - eventually - prevent them from harming the human immune system.

It is a worthy cause and I would wholeheartedly encourage others to install the software on their computers also - if possible.

However, I cannot figure out to install it on my Raspberry Pi(running Wheezy)! There is a deb-package and rpm-package made of the software, so my hope is to install one of them, but how?

Can anyone help?

Best wishes
Jakob

DougieLawson

Re: Installing Folding@Home client to fight Corona/COVID-19

Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:33 pm

Can't be done for a few reasons
1. There's no ARMHF F@H client for the raspberry
2. The RPi doesn't have the same grunt as your X86_64 laptop / desktop / server
3. They've already announced they're overwhelmed with new clients and don't have enough work units left for their geographically dispersed super computer.
Languages using left-hand whitespace for syntax are ridiculous

DMs sent on https://twitter.com/DougieLawson or LinkedIn will be answered next month.
Fake doctors - are all on my foes list.

The use of crystal balls and mind reading is prohibited.

davidcoton

Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:46 pm

DougieLawson wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:33 pm
3. They've already announced they're overwhelmed with new clients and don't have enough work units left for their geographically dispersed super computer.
Not quite. There are enough work units, but the servers have been struggling. Seems to be better now. Still no-go on a Pi, though.
Location: 345th cell on the right of the 210th row of L2 cache

markatlnk

Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:16 pm

I have the project running on a 6 core 2018 MacBook Pro, but even it only gets one project every couple of days. Even those complete in a couple of hours. So it is running less than 20% of the time.

I do have a pi running Seti@home, but that is shutting down work at the end of this month.

I understand the desire of having a pi working on something while not being used, but it isn't worth the time on their end.

Maybe another project will come along.

jdb
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:27 pm

I used to do F@H ages ago when the first CUDA/OpenCL clients came out. F@H on a reasonably powerful GPU will be an order of magnitude faster than CPU-based folding, and faster still than folding on a Pi 4.

Note: I installed it on my desktop and the servers are currently reporting no work items available. Recent surge in interest, perhaps?
Rockets are loud.
https://astro-pi.org

davidcoton

Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:38 pm

Indeed, the project has seen a 20x increase in donors. The servers are struggling -- it is actually quite a feat that they did not melt completely.
The F@H servers are being added to and upgraded as fast as possible. There is plenty of COVID-19 related work. So please be patient and keep donating spare time on your Intel/AMD Windows/Linux CPUs and nVidia/AMD GPUs, also Mac CPUs.
Location: 345th cell on the right of the 210th row of L2 cache

Return to “General discussion”