IchigoNitro

Upside down display

Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:38 am

I have a Raspberry pi 4 with a 7 inch 'cd touch display (connected via ribbon cable as provided with the screen) but Its booting with display upside down I did try and edit the boot/config.txt in another device that I did the format to get it operating as far as the system working but it doesn't detect the fact that it needs to rotate to where the case it upright physically. What do I need to do to force rotate? I tried the command on the pi 4 Model B but wouldn't change it and as mentioned It won't rotate to text settings.

RaspbianUser1

Re: Upside down display

Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:48 am

try using the arandr tool then go to “Orientation” in one of the tabs at the top, sorry I forgot which one :(
Running Arch Linux on my personal computer

IchigoNitro

Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:41 am

I tried everything but the screen doesnt allow it to rotate as needed. Considering that its running a ribbon cable connection could it be forced or trick it into thinking that it isnt upright?

aBUGSworstnightmare

Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:53 am

What (?) have you done? Have you ran the screen configuration utility, selected the DSI display and then changed orientation? Clicked the green button (apply settings)? This will rotate your display into all possible orientations.

Touch needs ro be rotated seperately (search for touch transformation matrix).

And no, you can't change the screen orientation by changing the ribbon cable!

And, if you don't mange to turn it in software simply rotate the entire thing. Again .. Touch needs to be rotated seperately!

WZ9V

Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:38 pm

In config.txt add lcd_rotate=2 fixes both the screen and the touch.

They really should have a paper with this in the box with the screen.

IchigoNitro

Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:44 am

aBUGSworstnightmare wrote:
What (?) have you done? Have you ran the screen configuration utility, selected the DSI display and then changed orientation? Clicked the green button (apply settings)? This will rotate your display into all possible orientations.

And, if you don't mange to turn it in software simply rotate the entire thing. Again .. Touch needs to be rotated seperately!
I have tried everything software wise and i used the SD Card Formatter (came with the Cana Kit set up) to format the sd card but turning the system upside down is a hassle because i want it to stand upright along with the touch and display.

aBUGSworstnightmare

Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:21 am

IchigoNitro wrote:

I have tried everything software wise and i used the SD Card Formatter (came with the Cana Kit set up) to format the sd card but turning the system upside down is a hassle because i want it to stand upright along with the touch and display.
Have you done what has been recommended? Use screen configuration utility to change the display rotation and then change touch transformation matrix by command.

Is it really that complicated to:
FKMS Mode

FKMS mode is used by default on the Raspberry Pi 4B. FKMS uses the DRM/MESA libraries to provide graphics and 3D acceleration.

To set screen orientation when running the graphical desktop, select the Screen Configuration option from the Preferences menu. Right click on the DSI display rectangle in the layout editor, select Orientation then the required option.
and
Touchscreen orientation

Additionally, you have the option to change the rotation of the touchscreen independently of the display itself by adding a dtoverlay instruction in config.txt, for example:

dtoverlay=rpi-ft5406,touchscreen-swapped-x-y=1,touchscreen-inverted-x=1

The options for the touchscreen are:

DT parameter Action
touchscreen-size-x Sets X resolution (default 800)
touchscreen-size-y Sets Y resolution (default 600)
touchscreen-inverted-x Invert X coordinates
touchscreen-inverted-y Invert Y coordinates
touchscreen-swapped-x-y Swap X and Y cordinates
You can also change the touch transformation matrix with is more common in the Linux world Touchscreen orientation viewtopic.php?f=108&t=219333&p=1348198& ... n#p1348198

IchigoNitro

Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:40 am

WZ9V wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:38 pm
In config.txt add lcd_rotate=2 fixes both the screen and the touch.

They really should have a paper with this in the box with the screen.
Already tried this option but it says its READ ONLY FILE Changes cannot be saved.

IchigoNitro

Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:43 am

Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:21 am
IchigoNitro wrote:

Touch needs ro be rotated seperately (search
for touch transformation matrix).

Have you done what has been recommended? Use screen configuration utility to change the display rotation and then change touch transformation matrix by command.

Is it really that complicated to:
FKMS Mode

FKMS mode is used by default on the Raspberry Pi 4B. FKMS uses the DRM/MESA libraries to provide graphics and 3D acceleration.

To set screen orientation when running the graphical desktop, select the Screen Configuration option from the Preferences menu. Right click on the DSI display rectangle in the layout editor, select Orientation then the required option.
and
Touchscreen orientation

Additionally, you have the option to change the rotation of the touchscreen independently of the display itself by adding a dtoverlay instruction in config.txt, for example:

dtoverlay=rpi-ft5406,touchscreen-swapped-x-y=1,touchscreen-inverted-x=1

The options for the touchscreen are:

DT parameter Action
touchscreen-size-x Sets X resolution (default 800)
touchscreen-size-y Sets Y resolution (default 600)
touchscreen-inverted-x Invert X coordinates
touchscreen-inverted-y Invert Y coordinates
touchscreen-swapped-x-y Swap X and Y cordinates
You can also change the touch transformation matrix with is more common in the Linux world Touchscreen orientation viewtopic.php?f=108&t=219333&p=1348198& ... n#p1348198
I tried everything but it says that the config.txt file is read only. And ive tried other methods as well as updating the system (some were installed and some didnt install idk if this a kernel configuration issue or a bug theres not telling what it was.)

pidd

Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:48 am

use sudo in front of the command to edit /boot/config.txt

IchigoNitro

Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:49 am

Major update: fixed the rotation issue now i need the touch capacitor to be where the display is... Command to fix this? (Display is as the stand case is but the touch capacitor is 90 degrees off center)

aBUGSworstnightmare

Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:08 am

Well .. Although you seem quite advice resistant you got it working. But: how?

Do you take the time to read other users replay on this thread? Solution for fixing (rotating) the touch have been mentioned already.

So, good luck and hope you get touch fixed soon!

IchigoNitro

Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:33 pm

Well, i had to write a new sd card (128gb) and this time the system allowed writing onnthe files even while the system is operating and i figured out how to fix the problem. Hopefully itll stay after the updates. Speaking of, even after the updates are applied will it effect the screen rotation?

Return to “Troubleshooting”