fivenote
Posts: 55
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2020 3:52 pm

Did 2021-01-07 update break Zoom in Chromium?

Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:51 pm

Hey everybody!

I updated and experienced the same kernel bug as others did in the recent update. Thanks to RPI for rolling out a fast fix for that. I now see a new issue with Zoom in Chromium.

After starting or joining a meeting, my camera does not come on or freezes just after it comes on. And mouse input works on and off. It'll freeze for several seconds, work for a few, then freeze again, and so on. Unable to use the mouse, I have to shut down chromium from an SSH session to get control of the desktop back.

I've tested this on 2 RPI 4 4GB Raspian systems and have the same problem on both.

Thanks for everyone's wonderful help!

fivenote
Posts: 55
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2020 3:52 pm

Re: Did 2021-01-07 update break Zoom in Chromium?

Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:08 pm

BUMP.

So anybody else having trouble with Zoom after this week's kernel (5.4.83-v7l) & chromium (86.0.4240.197) update?

Getting Zoom to work smoothly in Chromium was a big step forward in the Dec OS release. It seems like it's taken a step back.

Any personal experience to confirm this or help is much appreciated.

MacUser2525
Posts: 157
Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2020 5:34 am
Location: NS, Canada

Re: Did 2021-01-07 update break Zoom in Chromium?

Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:19 pm

The latest update was a not ready for prime time one, it has broken many machines depending on the time it was done and the commands used to do it. It seems to have stabilized now and the update and full-upgrade used with apt seems to have solved the problems introduced. I have not taken the plunge yet but you may want too, it gives you a new kernel the 5.10 variety I think it is.

andrum99
Posts: 1623
Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:41 pm

Re: Did 2021-01-07 update break Zoom in Chromium?

Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:42 pm

MacUser2525 wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:19 pm
The latest update was a not ready for prime time one, it has broken many machines depending on the time it was done and the commands used to do it. It seems to have stabilized now and the update and full-upgrade used with apt seems to have solved the problems introduced. I have not taken the plunge yet but you may want too, it gives you a new kernel the 5.10 variety I think it is.
Still on the 5.4.y kernel. There was a new firmware bug introduced, which caused various things to break. Seems to be fixed now.

fivenote
Posts: 55
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2020 3:52 pm

Re: Did 2021-01-07 update break Zoom in Chromium?

Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:41 pm

Yes... as mentioned, I got the kernel failure after the update, but also applied the later update that fixed that.

But now... Zoom in Chromium isn't working. It freezes on and off when I enable the camera. I wonder if that was something that changed in Chromium.

telerock58
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2021 9:49 pm

Re: Did 2021-01-07 update break Zoom in Chromium?

Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:04 pm

fivenote wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:41 pm
Yes... as mentioned, I got the kernel failure after the update, but also applied the later update that fixed that.

But now... Zoom in Chromium isn't working. It freezes on and off when I enable the camera. I wonder if that was something that changed in Chromium.
Same here. Zoom is busted like you said. I can use it with camera turned off but what’s the point.

stormchaser3000
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:52 pm

Re: Did 2021-01-07 update break Zoom in Chromium?

Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:59 pm

I am also having this problem, but I don't believe it is related to chromium specifically. Zoom's webapp is a very, very slow piece of software requiring a vast amount of resources under normal circumstances. I am surprised it even runs on the Raspberry Pi 4 at all. I once tried the Zoom webapp on my laptop which uses an 8th gen core i5 with 8 GB of ram and that webapp drained the battery life in around 2 hours (that laptop usually get 5 - 8 hours of battery life) and the fan had revved up almost the whole time I was in a call with a small group of family members.

I don't know how the Raspberry Pi OS developers managed to get it working as well as it was (if I understand from the comments, it was working well at one point), but I have never had a good experience with the Zoom webapp, even on mid-range hardware like the laptop I mentioned above.

I really hope this problem can be resolved at some point, however, because I need Zoom for various things and it is the one thing preventing me from using the Pi 4 as a daily driver.

fivenote
Posts: 55
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2020 3:52 pm

Re: Did 2021-01-07 update break Zoom in Chromium?

Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:10 pm

I think the issue is getting addressed in this thread...

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=303998&start=25

Let's hope it's fixed zoom. Need Zoom on the Raspberry Pi!

stormchaser3000
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:52 pm

Re: Did 2021-01-07 update break Zoom in Chromium?

Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:33 pm

fivenote wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:10 pm
I think the issue is getting addressed in this thread...

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=303998&start=25

Let's hope it's fixed zoom. Need Zoom on the Raspberry Pi!
I wish I could say that forum thread is working towards fixing the underlying problem. What they appear to be working on (from a quick glance) is a potential firmware issue, not a problem with Zoom running poorly in Chromium.

As much as I hate to say it, I do not believe this is something the Raspberry Pi OS developers can fix because they don't maintain the Zoom webapp. As best I can tell, this is something that must be addressed by Zoom because it is their poorly optimized proprietary web app. Until the company behind Zoom (Zoom Video Communications) is able to fix this issue, we are basically just stuck with it (as best I can tell).

Murple
Posts: 21
Joined: Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:49 pm

Re: Did 2021-01-07 update break Zoom in Chromium?

Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:53 pm

While I agree I that the Zoom webapp is unoptimised awfulness, I am having the same issues with the zoom desktop client (which can be run with box86 on the pi). So my opinion is there is something more going on the just just a shit zoom webapp. It seems to me that it locks up the USB on the pi, which takes this beyond the app just being a resource hog.

Out of curiosity is anyone having this problem when using a CSI attached pi camera module?

praveen1709
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed May 19, 2021 1:01 pm

Re: Did 2021-01-07 update break Zoom in Chromium?

Fri Jul 02, 2021 7:14 am

@m
Murple wrote: While I agree I that the Zoom webapp is unoptimised awfulness, I am having the same issues with the zoom desktop client (which can be run with box86 on the pi). So my opinion is there is something more going on the just just a shit zoom webapp. It seems to me that it locks up the USB on the pi, which takes this beyond the app just being a resource hog.

Out of curiosity is anyone having this problem when using a CSI attached pi camera module?
yeah i tried with both CSI and USB web cam, no use same result for both cams,but zoom was working ok ok with may 2020 release of raspbian with chromium latest version (88.0.4324.187) till three days before, now suddenly join audio by computer option is greyed out.My point of view these lagging,blocking usb,breaking video all are happening after they started to release extension for chromium.

Return to “General discussion”