unsigneduk

Pico - Windows 7 Driver needed ?

Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:40 pm

Hi all,

I got the Pico up and running on my PI with Thonny but when I try the same with my PC it seems that windows 7 requires a driver for the board and I can not find any mention of it online anywhere. Can any one help ?. The board is showing in Device Manager as "Board CDC" yet can not find a driver.
This I think has the effect of making Thonny think that the board is busy after uploading the firmware and/or not pressing the boot select button upon plugin.

Thanks.
Jim

hippy

Re: Pico - Windows 7 Driver needed ?

Wed Jan 27, 2021 5:38 pm

viewtopic.php?f=146&t=300053

I forgot to update that to say it also worked for me on Windows 7 as well as XP.

unsigneduk

Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:44 pm

Thanks Hippy, that worked a treat. Surprising as Im normally a failure at following those things.

Regards
Jim

Sel199

Fri Jan 29, 2021 12:35 am

I'm having the same issue I think, "C" works but when I try drag the pico_micropython_20210121.uf2 file to the Pi Pico it still showa a yellow exclaimation mark in Devices and there is no COM port listed in Thonny.

If I try the link posted and edit the file and then try to install it says the INF you selected can't does not support this type of file.

Any Help thanks.

unsigneduk

Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:28 pm

Well, here goes nothing... Ill try to do a step by step of what I did and worked for me. This is to make windows 7 recognise the pico when not in bootsel mode and thus allowing the pico to be recognised in Thonny.

1. Download the USB CDC driver from https://www.microchip.com/SWLibraryWeb/ ... COM_Driver

2. unzip the amtel_devices_cdc.inf file to a folder named "pico-serial"
3. Change the name of amtel_devices_cdc.inf file to pico-serial.inf
4. open/edit the pico-serial.inf in a basic editor like notepad
5. remove and replace the lines under the following headings :

Code: Select all

[DeviceList] 
%PI_CDC_PICO%=DriverInstall, USB\VID_2E8A&PID_0005&MI_00

[DeviceList.NTAMD64]

[DeviceList.NTIA64]

[DeviceList.NT]

[Strings] 
Manufacturer = "ATMEL, Inc." 
PI_CDC_PICO = "Pi Pico Serial Port" 
Serial.SvcDesc = "Pi Pico Serial Driver"
6. Close and save and make sure your retain the name as pico-serial.inf
7. Go to your pc device list, find the pico under Ports, named something like CDC Device. A yellow exclamation mark indicates it.
8. Right click on the CDC Device and update or install driver choosing the file you created from the location you saved it at.

Worked for me, fingers crossed for you.

Regards, Jim.

Sel199

Sat Jan 30, 2021 12:37 am

Thanks for the help I followed what you posted and it worked, it may also of helped that I hadn't had drink this time.

lmcelhiney

Mon Feb 01, 2021 5:34 pm

unsigneduk wrote:

1. Download the USB CDC driver from https://www.microchip.com/SWLibraryWeb/ ... COM_Driver

Regards, Jim.
Hi Jim,

Many thanks! I am deliberately using a Windows 7 device for this process. I tried yesterday and everything worked perfectly on a MacBook Pro, but today, no joy, with Win7.

I am testing the board and the "MicroPython on Raspberry PI" book to pass on to a nephew. Other than a brief mention of "other computer", there is no reference to the need to add a driver for Win7 drivers. I am glad that I figured out how to "ask the right question" on the RPI forum and found your excellent answer.

(Interestingly, the "Arduino equivalent" IDE seemed to work with all of their board on Macintosh, Windows and Linux...)

Melvin Sajith

Sat Feb 13, 2021 9:22 am

Go to this Video and see and install the Raspberry pi pico Drier for windows 7 ,8 ,xp
Video link - https://youtu.be/L-df-Rftk7I
Last edited by Melvin Sajith on Sun Feb 14, 2021 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The_Handy_Andy

Sun Feb 14, 2021 11:26 pm

unsigneduk wrote:
Well, here goes nothing... Ill try to do a step by step of what I did and worked for me. This is to make windows 7 recognise the pico when not in bootsel mode and thus allowing the pico to be recognised in Thonny.

2. unzip the amtel_devices_cdc.inf file to a folder named "pico-serial"
3. Change the name of amtel_devices_cdc.inf file to pico-serial.inf
4. open/edit the pico-serial.inf in a basic editor like notepad
5. remove and replace the lines under the following headings :

Code: Select all

[DeviceList] 

[DeviceList.NTAMD64]

[DeviceList.NTIA64]

[DeviceList.NT]

[Strings] 
Manufacturer = "ATMEL, Inc." 
PI_CDC_PICO = "Pi Pico Serial Port" 
Serial.SvcDesc = "Pi Pico Serial Driver"
6. Close and save and make sure your retain the name as pico-serial.inf
7. Go to your pc device list, find the pico under Ports, named something like CDC Device. A yellow exclamation mark indicates it.
8. Right click on the CDC Device and update or install driver choosing the file you created from the location you saved it at.

Worked for me, fingers crossed for you.

Regards, Jim.
***The following is for my Win7 laptop***

yep it worked for me as well (I'd already installed micropython (the only version that didn't have unstable in the file name) using a Pi-zero and VNC). Now I don't know if the pico will talk to Thonny on win7 as I was trying to get the pico to work with my win8.1 laptop and I haven't installed Thonny on my Win7 laptop (Mu is a non starter). But as the Pico now has a com port on win7 I reckon it will work with arduino!

HOWEVER

When in bootsel mode I get:

USB Composite Device (tick)Ready to use
USB Mass Storage Device (tick)Ready to use
RP2 Boot (cross)No driver found
RPI RP2 USB Device (tick)Ready to use

So the big question is there a fix for RP2 Boot? Or can that error be ignored?

Now as a general observation the Pico isn't the only board that has a CDC problem with Win7/8.1!! I have 2 different "sense" boards which should work with arduino, the manufacturers say that the boards work with win7....but does win7/8.1 give them a com port? Not a chance! But I am wondering if something similar to the above Pico fix could work with the other boards.

cleverca22

Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:33 am

The_Handy_Andy wrote:
RP2 Boot (cross)No driver found
The_Handy_Andy wrote:
So the big question is there a fix for RP2 Boot? Or can that error be ignored?
i believe thats for for using picotool, you can just ignore that and use uf2 on the mass-storage device instead

emma1997

Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:46 am

To my surprise the USB worked fine on my XP system w/o any new drivers, in and out of MSD. Specially that Microchip baloney which I avoid like anything from that company. Like with the Pi Google/Amazon/Microshaft ping thing, 30 mile airgap. You might think I'm joking again but I'm not.

It would be nice to know what it actually needs, libusb or whatever. But I guess it's a trade secret.

hippy

Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:50 am

emma1997 wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:46 am
It would be nice to know what it actually needs, libusb or whatever. But I guess it's a trade secret.
It doesn't need anything but the standard Windows drivers and a .inf file so Windows knows to use those drivers with the Pico VID-PID pair. No trade secrets at all.

Mondogeo

Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:27 pm

Ii use windows 7 and i had the same problem.
Perfectly solved with the above indications!
Thank you.

emma1997

Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:14 pm

hippy wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:50 am
It doesn't need anything but the standard Windows drivers and a .inf file so Windows knows to use those drivers with the Pico VID-PID pair. No trade secrets at all.
'Standard Windows Drivers' is s little vague. For example doubtful w3.1 at all. I'm not a Winders expert so, other than HID, don't know too much about VID/PID etc. The reference to AVR type tells me it is not standard on XP because it was necessary to install special for that. Raw XP did not work until libusb so maybe something else I installed over the decades.

Anyway glad it just up and works w/o the typical BS for which I have little patience.

Return to “General”