Mark_Speir

CM3+ -- all variants out of stock EVERYWHERE?!

Sat May 08, 2021 5:16 pm

This is a problem. I want to go with the CM3 over the CM4 due to the nearly 50% reduction in GPIO pins in the CM4. However, the CM3+ is out of stock everywhere. I thought I found a 32GB variant on Newark, as they showed it in stock, but that turned out to be a mistake on their end.

When can I expect to see these back in stock? I need one of any model except the Lite.

neggles

Re: CM3+ -- all variants out of stock EVERYWHERE?!

Sun May 09, 2021 2:28 am

There’s a global chip shortage, as I’m sure you’re aware - it’s affecting everything, not just Pis and CMs.

That said, it looks like Mouser have some 32GB models due in on the 24th of May: https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Ra ... acDw%3D%3D

If you need more GPIO why not add an i2c/spi GPIO expander (or even a Pi Pico / other microcontroller functioning as one) to a CM4? The CM3+ is a bit meh these days.

Mark_Speir

Sun May 09, 2021 2:06 pm

I completely forgot about the chip shortage!

My plan is for the CM is to be connected to the bus of a 68000-based retro computer I'm designing as a hobby project, to be used as a video controller. From the 68000's perspective, the CM would look like 1 MB of address space. Even though the 68000 will be running at 10 Mhz and that looks to be well with the specs of the GPIO pins, I'd like to reduce additional latency as much as possible. I did consider IO expanders, but I'm not sure that's a great idea in this case. Even if I could find fast IO expanders, the CM3 is overkill for my needs. I could happily use a CM1.

jwizard

Mon May 24, 2021 2:40 pm

The Mouser stock wasn't real. Two days before the ship date my order was pushed back an entire 12 months.

xplorerbb

Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:08 pm

If anyone has any new cm3+/32gb modules, let me know we are looking to buy. Will pay well above retail for new modules, up to 100.
Thanks

vee

Mon Sep 06, 2021 12:26 pm

A chinese vendor told me that tesla is buying them all up for their chargers. Not sure if that's true, but that would explain the ~35 week estimated delivery time.

gordon77

Mon Sep 06, 2021 2:32 pm

vee wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 12:26 pm
A chinese vendor told me that tesla is buying them all up for their chargers. Not sure if that's true, but that would explain the ~35 week estimated delivery time.
Did they mean the Wallbox and Hypervolt chargers that use a CM.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Mon Sep 06, 2021 5:20 pm

We are not expecting the CM3+ situation to recover until Q2 2022. As Eben said in a recent interview - the entire supply chain is on fire. We simply cannot get hold of the components before then. It's similar for CM4. Pi4 should be OK as we have lots of chips ordered up front, but the demand for CM product has been very very high, and when the order went in. MONTHS ago, the lead times for some devices were doubled over expectations which has lead to this gap in supply.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi Ltd.
Working in the Applications Team.

StonedEdge

Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:24 am

jamesh wrote:
We are not expecting the CM3+ situation to recover until Q2 2022. As Eben said in a recent interview - the entire supply chain is on fire. We simply cannot get hold of the components before then. It's similar for CM4. Pi4 should be OK as we have lots of chips ordered up front, but the demand for CM product has been very very high, and when the order went in. MONTHS ago, the lead times for some devices were doubled over expectations which has lead to this gap in supply.
Damn, this really sucks to hear. I really hope that things return to normal soon for everyone. I'm sure there are many people who have had their business plans crushed because the CM4 cannot be purchased in bulk.

MikeDB

Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:20 am

StonedEdge wrote:
Damn, this really sucks to hear. I really hope that things return to normal soon for everyone. I'm sure there are many people who have had their business plans crushed because the CM4 cannot be purchased in bulk.
I managed to get some boxes of CM4s, but then the A-D and D-A convertors I need became unavailable. Other people are having problems with STM32 MCUs. It seems almost impossible to design anything and rely on being able to source every component needed.
Always interested in innovative audio startups needing help and investment. Look for InPoSe Ltd or Future Horizons on LinkedIn to find me (same avatar photograph)

jamesh

Wed Sep 08, 2021 11:12 am

StonedEdge wrote:
jamesh wrote:
It's not just us, EVERYONE is having problems sourcing components. We are trying to share out CM4's etc as fairly as possible for R&D purposes only - real production volumes for new customers are simply not there.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-58266794
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-57996908
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-58002724
https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... p-shortage

Any company that makes anything with chips in is going to struggle.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi Ltd.
Working in the Applications Team.

Return to “Compute Module”