gobstopper

Firmware not Found error after update

Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:00 pm

I've been running a 4GB Pi4 from a USB-connected SSD drive for a number of months and it has been running really well.

Using Webmin I applied some updates this afternoon and found the Pi wasn't reachable over the network following a reboot. When I connected a monitor I found it appeared to stuck on the initial boot screen with the error "Firmware not Found" displayed at the bottom of the screen -

https://www.screencast.com/t/93C9Q27jf

After some cursing I booted the machine using Raspberry Pi OS from an SD card to confirm the device itself was alive and could see that the USB-connected SSD was still present (now located under /media/pi) so was relieved that whatever had happened hadn't completely lunched the drive. Ran the imager application and used the option to reset the eeprom settings. As soon as I shut down, remove the SD card and tried to boot up again I found myself looking at the same boot error.

I have also been able to use Imager to write the eeprom recovery to another SD card and it boots to a plain green screen which I believe is a sign that the eeprom istself is OK, and when I revert back the the copy of Raspberry Pi OS on the SD card it boots OK, I wondered if it might be a case of re-copying some files into the boot folder on the USB-SSD to fix the problem?

With this Pi currently unable to boot to the SSD, I've lost use of my Nextcloud installation and MariaDB (which is running my Kodi database), so I'm having a small panic.

Has anyone else had the same problem and found a solution that works?

Many thanks in advance.
-Phil.

gobstopper

Re: Firmware not Found error after update

Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:09 pm

A suggestion from another forum indicates that this isn't an eeprom issue but more likely to be something corrupted in the file system - which as it is not Raspberry Pi OS (but DietPi) I won't have a problem if a mod chooses to close this thread.

gobstopper

Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:09 am

Turned out in the end that an update (this Pi was running DietPi operating system with Webmin and I had triggered the update from Webmin) had somehow borked the contents of the /boot folder so that it only contained a fraction of what should have been present.

Using an installation of Raspberry Pi OS on an SD card I was able to copy over its /boot contents to the boot folder on the SSD. Rebooted without the SD card inserted and it was all good again.

webwarrior007

Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:25 am

I just ran into the same problem from a fresh install, and finished the setup and update, and the pi crashed on boot, stating Firmware not found.

Do we know what is causing this behaviour?

webwarrior007

Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:52 am

I re downloaded the latest Rasberry Pi Imager, and redid the sd car, and I went through setup and configuration changes, without internet, and that rebooted fine.

I will do an sudo apt upgrade, and see what breaks.

faiyip

Wed Oct 27, 2021 12:34 am

pi4_boot_screen_firmware_not_found.jpg
boot screen firmware not found
pi4_boot_screen_firmware_not_found.jpg (152.25 KiB) Viewed 26342 times
hi,
I don't know if I am having the same problem. I did an update, and then I can't boot my pi. I tried to copy the /boot folder from a new installation, but that didn't work. My pi 4 is using a usb attached SSD for storage. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks
Fai

Mlinko

Mon Dec 20, 2021 11:32 am

Hi,

I also have the same issue, would be very helpful if someone could help us.

KR
Rok

Schorschi

Mon Dec 20, 2021 6:34 pm

Just encountered this on a fresh build of Pi 4 OS, original setup was uEFI boot, with ESXi fling boot image for ARM virtualization testing.

Wanted to revert to standard SD card boot via standard non-uEFI boot, and generated the SD card firmware boot image via the Pi OS installer windows application, and now getting the same firmware not found issue.

The repeating error is firmware not found, but this is reported after SD card not found. Thinking that my Pi might be still trying to use USB boot, I created the SD boot image via the Pi OS installer and then used that.

Once i used the SD card based boot loader reset/recovery image, that still reports firmware not found, but that to me makes sense, the current SD image inserted is just the SD card boot reset image.

Generated a full Pi OS image, SD boot default. Inserted the SD card image with Pi OS, and got the typical Pi boot loader sequence, multi-color screen splash, and then the Pi OS boot sequence started, resized the SD card partition, etc. I now see the Pi OS desktop as expected.

Thorns

Wed Dec 22, 2021 11:05 pm

I am positive that I’m on the right thread, because my error message is the same as the screenshot posted by Faiyip, but I need more help please!

I’m a complete Pi noob. I don’t understand half the terms being used, and I’m wondering how you are able to troubleshoot when this error has caused it to be stuck in the error loop on startup and therefore unresponsive to anything I do except unplugging the power cable. Even pulling the SD card doesn’t seem to change anything significantly except noting whether the card is detected.

For background: On our RPi4, we tried following directions to install Box86 and Wine (not sure of level of success, but that can be a different request for help), and as part of that followed the system’s recommendation to run a full update. Restarted after the update because my kids noticed that restarting every day or so helps with all sorts of things…and now stuck in the error loop.

bjtheone

Thu Dec 23, 2021 2:30 pm

I would suggest you grab a new SD card and start over. It sound like you make have broken something when you attempted to install Box86 & Wine.

A couple of points, you really want to avoid just pulling the power if at all possible, as it risks corrupting the SD card. You should _NEVER_ pull the SD card with the Pi powered (it is not clear from your message if you powered down first).

Once you have a nice fresh default OS SD you can use that to boot and verify that everything is the functional. You then can use the built in SD card copier to copy the working OS to the other (current) card) and the try to install whatever again. At that point you will always have a "rescue SD" and can use that if you break the OS again. Depending on what you break, it can be quite simple to switch to the rescue SD, insert the broken OS SD in a USB adaptor, and use the Pi (booted form the rescue SD) to fix whatever got broken.

It certainly is possible to fix your current SD card. However, that requires a working system that can mount and write ext4 file systems (standard Windows OS cannot). If you are not reasonably familiar with Linux (and have a functioning Linux system) it is going to be faster to start over than to sort out what went wrong.

Thorns

Thu Dec 23, 2021 5:27 pm

Awesome, thanks! We have two RPi4's (two boys), and I hadn't touched the other one, so that should make it easier to make a fresh SD (and backup SDs.

arctinet

Thu Jun 02, 2022 8:55 am

Had the exact same problem after an apt update and apt upgrade which was interrupted.

Copied my /boot from another pi4 running raspian and all works again....

smartgenes

Fri Sep 16, 2022 7:04 pm

I had the same issues after update, I could see the boot files were missing and had an earlier version of the same image with them on.

Windows would let me copy but not paste back the files, I attached a DVD writer with an integrated SD reader to another Pi and transferred the files into the boot folder.

Back in! Thanks a lot :-)

utopiah

Sat Oct 15, 2022 3:02 pm

Exact same problem. Unfortunately I didn't have a `/boot` to get somewhere and thought it was a good occasion to start from a clean installation. I was able to save the content from `/home` so it's fine.

That being said, it is not normal that following the official upgrade process several persons to end up with an unusable installation.

reclusivescavenger

Sat Feb 04, 2023 5:21 am

gobstopper wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:09 am
Using an installation of Raspberry Pi OS on an SD card I was able to copy over its /boot contents to the boot folder on the SSD. Rebooted without the SD card inserted and it was all good again.
This worked great form me, thanks.

sudo apt-get upgrade hung on Removing 'diversion of /boot/kernel.img to /usr/share/rpikernelhack/kernel.img by rpikernelhack' and then I couldn't boot. I created a fresh SD card, copied the contents of /boot to my USD drive, rebooted and could finish updating.

Return to “Troubleshooting”