thestumbler

Any Updates on the Pi Zero Wifi in South Korea Issue?

Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:04 pm

I have a handful of Raspberry Pi 4s and a 3 which I have been using for a couple of years without incident. I recently dusted off a Raspberry Pi Zero W which I had in a drawer to use on a project which needs the smaller form-factor of the Zero. I've been trying to get it to connect to WiFi for days, digging through many reports of WiFi problems. Finally, last night, I discovered a few threads explaining that there's a bug in the WiFi firmware when your country is set to KR (South Korea). I confirmed that easily, but setting, say GB, I could suddenly see all SSIDs in my environment. But I couldn't connect because a mismatch in country codes, as I would expect.

In this post from 2018, Raspberry Pi engineer spl23 indicated this seemed to be a bug in the WiFi firmware and he contacted the manufacturer to request a fix. What is the status of that fix?

Also, once I do get an internet connection established ( I have a USB-LAN dongle arriving today or tomorrow ), what process is needed to update my Pi Zero to have the latest and greatest on-board firmware? My board details are below.

Code: Select all

cat /proc/device-tree/model
Raspberry Pi Zero W Rev 1.1

fruitoftheloom

Re: Any Updates on the Pi Zero Wifi in South Korea Issue?

Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:09 am

thestumbler wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:04 pm
I have a handful of Raspberry Pi 4s and a 3 which I have been using for a couple of years without incident. I recently dusted off a Raspberry Pi Zero W which I had in a drawer to use on a project which needs the smaller form-factor of the Zero. I've been trying to get it to connect to WiFi for days, digging through many reports of WiFi problems. Finally, last night, I discovered a few threads explaining that there's a bug in the WiFi firmware when your country is set to KR (South Korea). I confirmed that easily, but setting, say GB, I could suddenly see all SSIDs in my environment. But I couldn't connect because a mismatch in country codes, as I would expect.

In this post from 2018, Raspberry Pi engineer spl23 indicated this seemed to be a bug in the WiFi firmware and he contacted the manufacturer to request a fix. What is the status of that fix?

Also, once I do get an internet connection established ( I have a USB-LAN dongle arriving today or tomorrow ), what process is needed to update my Pi Zero to have the latest and greatest on-board firmware? My board details are below.

cat /proc/device-tree/model
Raspberry Pi Zero W Rev 1.1

WiFi Chipset firmware has been updated over the last 2 years.

Are you running a fully updated Raspberry Pi (Raspbian Buster) Operating System ?
Take what I advise as advice not the utopian holy grail, and it is gratis !!

thestumbler

Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:52 am

I have a new one on order, should get here in a few days.

I confirmed the problem today after receiving a USB-WiFi dongle and a USB-LAN dongle (that LAN made debugging much easier). Just like mimi1kr reported in this post, this post from last year, if I set the country to US, I see my router's AP and others nearby, but can't connect because of the country mismatch. If I set the country back to KR, every single channel has been disabled -- apparently by some combination of the WiFi chip firmware and the crda database of allowed channels and Tx power by country. Actually mine is worse that mini1kr ... every single one of my channels is disabled, whereas he at least had a few still active.

I can't believe that none of the Pi Zero Ws that were sold in South Korea worked. There must be a firmware mod somewhere.

I am using the latest Debian-based Raspberry Pi OS Lite (headless) that I downloaded from the Raspberry Pi site this week. Once I got my LAN connected today, I did a sudo apt update and sudo apt upgrade. It didn't make any difference.

GlowInTheDark

Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:03 am

I doubt it is fixable, and, the usual case with situations like this, is that people will just say "Oh, yeah, that's a problem; you need to buy a new one!". And, generally, that is pretty good advice; the price of all Raspberry Pis is pretty cheap; they are designed and priced to be more of a "consumable" than a "durable".

However, ...

There is a glitch when the Pi in question is a Zero and you find a hardware problem. Because, there, you are only ever supposed to buy, in your entire lifetime, one of them. So, what do you do then???
Poster of inconvenient truths.

Back from a short, unplanned vacation. Did you miss me?

thestumbler

Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:15 pm

Well from the previous remarks it seems not to be a hardware issue but rather a firmware one. Anyway let’s see what happens when the new Pi Zero arrives.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:28 pm

Yes, that is a firmware issue. Are you sure you are up to date with the distribution? There have been a few wireless firmware changes on the last year or two.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi Ltd.
Working in the Applications Team.

thestumbler

Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:42 pm

No I’m not sure. That was my original question. What is the procedure to update all the firmware? I used the latest image from this week and did apt update and upgrade. Are there commands I can run to update the wifi firmware?

fruitoftheloom

Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:52 pm

thestumbler wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:42 pm
No I’m not sure. That was my original question. What is the procedure to update all the firmware? I used the latest image from this week and did apt update and upgrade. Are there commands I can run to update the wifi firmware?

sudo apt update
sudo apt full-upgrade

https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... pdating.md

Updating the kernel and firmware

The kernel and firmware are installed as a Debian package, and so will also get updates when using the procedure above. These packages are updated infrequently and after extensive testing.

thestumbler

Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:55 pm

I did that. No difference.

Could it be related to the fact I’m using -lite version of the OS? Perhaps the firmware only gets updated with the medium and full-size images?

GlowInTheDark

Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:11 pm

To me, firmware means hardware.

But now I remember that in the Rpi context, the term is used differently. It means the stuff in /boot.

So, point taken.

trejan

Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:26 pm

thestumbler wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:55 pm
Could it be related to the fact I’m using -lite version of the OS? Perhaps the firmware only gets updated with the medium and full-size images?
No. The desktop and lite versions both get updated if they're still supported.

Are you using a fresh install of Raspberry Pi OS or whatever was still on the SD card from before? What does "cat /etc/os-release" say? Only version 10 / Buster is currently supported. If you have anything older then you no longer receive updates. The best option is to start with a fresh install of Raspberry Pi OS.

jamesh

Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:32 pm

GlowInTheDark wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:11 pm

But now I remember that in the Rpi context, the term is used differently. It means the stuff in /boot.

So, point taken.
Firmware != hardware. Not just in the RPi context, firmware has a pretty standard definition! And no, its doesn't mean the stuff in boot. It means firmware, some of which is stored on the boot folder, some of which is stored in the Linux tree where it is used by the wireless driver.

GlowInTheDark

Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:22 pm

That doesn't change.

jamesh

Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:25 pm

GlowInTheDark wrote:
That doesn't change.
It should. Firmware IS software. One definition is permanent software programmed into a read-only memory. Nowadays, its usually either in EEPROM or loaded in to RAM built in to a device, at run time.

But firmware IS software. Not hardware.

davidcoton

Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:29 pm

GlowInTheDark wrote:
That doesn't change.
Unless that changes, you will confuse yourself and probably others you are trying to "help". Your assistance becomes a hindrance.
Try to use it as a learning opportunity, rather than engaging ostrich mode. :roll: :lol:
Location: 345th cell on the right of the 210th row of L2 cache

thestumbler

Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:03 pm

Okay, FW vs SW definitions aside… let me state again. I am using a brand new download of the OS — this Pi Zero had never been powered up since I bought it a year or so ago. This past weekend I prepared a new micro SD card for it.

Is there some way to query the WiFi chip firmware version to confirm its status? In the log files perhaps?

Could it be possible that the WiFi firmware is correct and recent, but somehow the mechanism (which is not clear to me) of obtaining the country-specific via crda is broken?

When I get the new Pi Zero, what should I see as the version / model number — v2.x maybe? I ordered the -WH version, which appeared the only way I could buy one that’s “guaranteed” to be newer than my current -W model.

fruitoftheloom

Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:47 pm

thestumbler wrote:
Okay, FW vs SW definitions aside… let me state again. I am using a brand new download of the OS — this Pi Zero had never been powered up since I bought it a year or so ago. This past weekend I prepared a new micro SD card for it.

Is there some way to query the WiFi chip firmware version to confirm its status? In the log files perhaps?

Could it be possible that the WiFi firmware is correct and recent, but somehow the mechanism (which is not clear to me) of obtaining the country-specific via crda is broken?

When I get the new Pi Zero, what should I see as the version / model number — v2.x maybe? I ordered the -WH version, which appeared the only way I could buy one that’s “guaranteed” to be newer than my current -W model.

Rather than guess about revisions check the excellent documentation:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... /README.md

jamesh

Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:07 pm

thestumbler wrote:

It's not related to the HW - it's all the same on the Pi0W/WH. The firmware is downloaded to the wireless chip when Linux boots, so its down to how recent you SD card installation is.

thestumbler

Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:43 pm

Rather than guess about revisions check the excellent documentation:
https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... /README.md
Thanks, fruitoftheloom. Now that I know the WiFi chip hasn't changed, it's not applicable at the moment (but it's really cool -- I broke down all the fields of my board for fun).

Here's my data.

pi@raspi0-gpib:~ $ ./showme.sh
+ uname -a
Linux raspi0-gpib 5.10.17+ #1421 Thu May 27 13:58:02 BST 2021 armv6l GNU/Linux
+ cat /etc/debian_version
+ cat /etc/os-release
PRETTY_NAME="Raspbian GNU/Linux 10 (buster)"
NAME="Raspbian GNU/Linux"
VERSION_ID="10"
VERSION="10 (buster)"
VERSION_CODENAME=buster
ID=raspbian
ID_LIKE=debian
HOME_URL="http://www.raspbian.org/"
SUPPORT_URL="http://www.raspbian.org/RaspbianForums"
BUG_REPORT_URL="http://www.raspbian.org/RaspbianBugs"
+ cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor	: 0
model name	: ARMv6-compatible processor rev 7 (v6l)
BogoMIPS	: 997.08
Features	: half thumb fastmult vfp edsp java tls
CPU implementer	: 0x41
CPU architecture: 7
CPU variant	: 0x0
CPU part	: 0xb76
CPU revision	: 7

Hardware	: BCM2835
Revision	: 9000c1
Serial		: 000000007e41d8bc
Model		: Raspberry Pi Zero W Rev 1.1
pi@raspi0-gpib:~ $
These "errors" from journalctl appear to be non-issues, from my searching the forums

Jun 23 07:00:00 raspi0-gpib kernel: brcmfmac: brcmf_fw_alloc_request: using brcm/brcmfmac43430-sdio for chip BCM43430/1
Jun 23 07:00:00 raspi0-gpib kernel: usbcore: registered new interface driver brcmfmac
Jun 23 07:00:00 raspi0-gpib kernel: brcmfmac mmc1:0001:1: Direct firmware load for brcm/brcmfmac43430-sdio.raspberrypi,model-zero-w.txt failed with error -2
Jun 23 07:00:00 raspi0-gpib kernel: random: crng init done
Jun 23 07:00:00 raspi0-gpib kernel: random: 7 urandom warning(s) missed due to ratelimiting
Jun 23 07:00:00 raspi0-gpib kernel: brcmfmac: brcmf_fw_alloc_request: using brcm/brcmfmac43430-sdio for chip BCM43430/1
Jun 23 07:00:00 raspi0-gpib kernel: brcmfmac: brcmf_c_process_clm_blob: no clm_blob available (err=-2), device may have limited channels available
Jun 23 07:00:00 raspi0-gpib kernel: brcmfmac: brcmf_c_preinit_dcmds: Firmware: BCM43430/1 wl0: Oct 22 2019 01:59:28 version 7.45.98.94 (r723000 CY) FWID 01-3b33decd
I'm beginning to think that my original assumption, that the firmware bug had been fixed, may be wrong. Consider this....

(1) Korean user dydgns2017 reported on 3-Jan-2019 that the on-board WiFi was not working for country code KR. As a resulted in Raspberry Pi engineer spl23 to request a firmware update from the manufacturer (Cypress?). He experienced this behavior due to a recent OS update -- looking at the release notes, this suggests that dydgns2017 was running the 13-Nov-2018 release when he started having problems. If we scan backwards through the release notes, the most recent update to the WiFi firmware was in the 13-Mar-2018 release, so he was running radio firmware version 7.45.98.38 at the time of the problem. ( reading his report and others, this undesired behavior of not connecting to WiFi in KR seems to have been introduced with this firmware update ).

(2) If we scan forward through the release notes, the only further update regarding WiFi happens two releases later in 20-Jun-2019. That seems to only address 5GHz aspects of WiFi which are unrelated to the Zero, and that doesn't seem to be a firmware update. I can see from my log files that the latest Raspberry Pi OS release from 07-May-2021 is using radio firmware 7.45.98.94, which isn't mentioned anywhere in the release notes. From this user report, we learn that version 7.45.98.94 firmware update was snuck into the 27-May-2020 OS release.

(3) On 18-Sep-2020, a Korean user mini1kr reported essentially the same problem as dydgns2017 initially reported 21 months prior. If we assuming that mini1kr was running an up-to-date image, this suggests that the problem with country code KR was not addressed as of version 7.45.98.94 image, the latest image available.

I'd love to be wrong about this, but it looks like the bug regarding the use of country code of KR, that was discovered and passed along to Cypress in Jan 2019, has not yet been fixed.

Jamesh, is there any way you can check what happened to spl23's bug report of 5-Jan-2019, and learn whether or not it was subsequently reported as being fixed in the 7.45.98.94 release?

Are there any Korean users, beta-testers, etc., of the Pi Zero W who are successfully using the on-board WiFi???

thestumbler

Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:11 am

I found some posts on the Cypress community page about this issue. This post specifically deals with Raspberry Pi problems.

https://community.cypress.com/t5/Wi-Fi- ... /m-p/81675

This is for the 43455 chip of the Pi 4b, and presumably this matter is solved because I have Pi 4b which are connecting just fine to WiFi in Korea. But the discussion on this thread might be helpful in tracking down this Pi Zero issue.

PhilE

Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:25 am

Zero W uses the CYW43438, the firmware for which includes an embedded "CLM blob" describing the channel availability and restrictions in different countries (on 43455 this is a separate file). This is simpler, but less flexible.

What do the following commands report?

$ iwconfig
$ iw reg get
$ iwlist chan

thestumbler

Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:56 pm

Bump. Jamesh, we’re you able to get any information on the referenced bug report?
-Chris

davidcoton

Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:38 pm

thestumbler wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:56 pm
Bump. Jamesh, we’re you able to get any information on the referenced bug report?
-Chris
Probably best if you run the commands PhilE listed, and post the results. If anyone can help you solve this, he can.
Location: 345th cell on the right of the 210th row of L2 cache

thestumbler

Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:58 pm

Oops, I missed PhilE's post. Here are the outputs from the requested commands down below, plus the output from "iw phy" which shows all wifi channels disabled.

From my brief search of posts here in South Korea (with my limited Korean ability and Google Translate), I'm seeing continuing reports of no wifi connectivity with Pi Zeros as recently as February of this year. It seems that this issue has been an ongoing problem since Jan 2019 when user dydgns2017 reported that radio firmware version 7.45.98.38 broke WiFi in South Korea and Raspberry Pi engineer spl23 submitted a bug report to Cypress. I would love to be proven wrong and discover this is just a cockpit error on my part.

pi@raspi0-gpib:~ $ sudo iwconfig
lo        no wireless extensions.

eth0      no wireless extensions.

wlan0     IEEE 802.11  ESSID:off/any
          Mode:Managed  Access Point: Not-Associated   Tx-Power=31 dBm
          Retry short limit:7   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
          Encryption key:off
          Power Management:on

pi@raspi0-gpib:~ $ iw reg get
global
country KR: DFS-JP
	(2402 - 2482 @ 40), (N/A, 13), (N/A)
	(5170 - 5250 @ 80), (N/A, 20), (N/A), AUTO-BW
	(5250 - 5330 @ 80), (N/A, 20), (0 ms), DFS, AUTO-BW
	(5490 - 5710 @ 160), (N/A, 30), (0 ms), DFS
	(5735 - 5835 @ 80), (N/A, 30), (N/A)
	(57000 - 66000 @ 2160), (N/A, 43), (N/A)

pi@raspi0-gpib:~ $ iwlist chan
lo        no frequency information.

eth0      no frequency information.

wlan0     0 channels

pi@raspi0-gpib:~ $ iw phy
Wiphy phy0
	max # scan SSIDs: 10
	max scan IEs length: 2048 bytes
	max # sched scan SSIDs: 16
	max # match sets: 16
	Retry short limit: 7
	Retry long limit: 4
	Coverage class: 0 (up to 0m)
	Device supports roaming.
	Supported Ciphers:
		* WEP40 (00-0f-ac:1)
		* WEP104 (00-0f-ac:5)
		* TKIP (00-0f-ac:2)
		* CCMP-128 (00-0f-ac:4)
	Available Antennas: TX 0 RX 0
	Supported interface modes:
		 * IBSS
		 * managed
		 * AP
		 * P2P-client
		 * P2P-GO
		 * P2P-device
	Band 1:
		Capabilities: 0x1020
			HT20
			Static SM Power Save
			RX HT20 SGI
			No RX STBC
			Max AMSDU length: 3839 bytes
			DSSS/CCK HT40
		Maximum RX AMPDU length 65535 bytes (exponent: 0x003)
		Minimum RX AMPDU time spacing: 16 usec (0x07)
		HT TX/RX MCS rate indexes supported: 0-7
		Bitrates (non-HT):
			* 1.0 Mbps
			* 2.0 Mbps (short preamble supported)
			* 5.5 Mbps (short preamble supported)
			* 11.0 Mbps (short preamble supported)
			* 6.0 Mbps
			* 9.0 Mbps
			* 12.0 Mbps
			* 18.0 Mbps
			* 24.0 Mbps
			* 36.0 Mbps
			* 48.0 Mbps
			* 54.0 Mbps
		Frequencies:
			* 2412 MHz [1] (disabled)
			* 2417 MHz [2] (disabled)
			* 2422 MHz [3] (disabled)
			* 2427 MHz [4] (disabled)
			* 2432 MHz [5] (disabled)
			* 2437 MHz [6] (disabled)
			* 2442 MHz [7] (disabled)
			* 2447 MHz [8] (disabled)
			* 2452 MHz [9] (disabled)
			* 2457 MHz [10] (disabled)
			* 2462 MHz [11] (disabled)
			* 2467 MHz [12] (disabled)
			* 2472 MHz [13] (disabled)
			* 2484 MHz [14] (disabled)
	Supported commands:
		 * new_interface
		 * set_interface
		 * new_key
		 * start_ap
		 * join_ibss
		 * set_pmksa
		 * del_pmksa
		 * flush_pmksa
		 * remain_on_channel
		 * frame
		 * set_wiphy_netns
		 * set_channel
		 * start_sched_scan
		 * start_p2p_device
		 * connect
		 * disconnect
		 * crit_protocol_start
		 * crit_protocol_stop
		 * update_connect_params
	software interface modes (can always be added):
	valid interface combinations:
		 * #{ managed } <= 1, #{ P2P-device } <= 1, #{ P2P-client, P2P-GO } <= 1,
		   total <= 3, #channels <= 2
		 * #{ managed } <= 1, #{ AP } <= 1, #{ P2P-client } <= 1, #{ P2P-device } <= 1,
		   total <= 4, #channels <= 1
	Device supports scan flush.
	Device supports randomizing MAC-addr in sched scans.
	max # scan plans: 1
	max scan plan interval: 508
	max scan plan iterations: 0
	Supported TX frame types:
		 * managed: 0x00 0x10 0x20 0x30 0x40 0x50 0x60 0x70 0x80 0x90 0xa0 0xb0 0xc0 0xd0 0xe0 0xf0
		 * AP: 0x00 0x10 0x20 0x30 0x40 0x50 0x60 0x70 0x80 0x90 0xa0 0xb0 0xc0 0xd0 0xe0 0xf0
		 * P2P-client: 0x00 0x10 0x20 0x30 0x40 0x50 0x60 0x70 0x80 0x90 0xa0 0xb0 0xc0 0xd0 0xe0 0xf0
		 * P2P-GO: 0x00 0x10 0x20 0x30 0x40 0x50 0x60 0x70 0x80 0x90 0xa0 0xb0 0xc0 0xd0 0xe0 0xf0
		 * P2P-device: 0x00 0x10 0x20 0x30 0x40 0x50 0x60 0x70 0x80 0x90 0xa0 0xb0 0xc0 0xd0 0xe0 0xf0
	Supported RX frame types:
		 * managed: 0x40 0xd0
		 * AP: 0x00 0x20 0x40 0xa0 0xb0 0xc0 0xd0
		 * P2P-client: 0x40 0xd0
		 * P2P-GO: 0x00 0x20 0x40 0xa0 0xb0 0xc0 0xd0
		 * P2P-device: 0x40 0xd0
	Supported extended features:
		* [ 4WAY_HANDSHAKE_STA_PSK ]: 4-way handshake with PSK in station mode
		* [ 4WAY_HANDSHAKE_STA_1X ]: 4-way handshake with 802.1X in station mode

thestumbler

Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:05 pm

Also, a reminder from my earlier post above: I can switch my country to US, for example, and then most (all?) of the channels are enabled and I can see nearby AP stations as expected (but not connect to them because of the country mis-match). Setting my country to KR results in all WiFi channels being disabled.

Return to “Troubleshooting”