Moonmarch

Crispy-Doom - Enhanced DOOM Engine Source Port Build Guide and Personal Updates

Sat Feb 11, 2023 5:00 am

Struggle: Antaresian Legacy with Crispy-Doom on the Raspberry Pi Computer

LZDoom has been discontinued by the source code maintainer, and the future for LZDoom is up in the air. I have moved away from the GZDoom DOOM Engine source port to test DOOM maps, because GZDoom is designed to be used with DOOM mods. This is the reason why testing DOOM maps with GZDoom feels very stale compared to using Crispy-Doom. I go back, and forth between DOSBox, and GZDoom when I build DOOM maps. The differences between the 2 DOOM Engines are surprisingly noticeable, and I decided to stop using GZDoom for testing DOOM maps. Crispy-Doom is designed to resemble the original DOOM Engine with numerous enhancements.

I haven't tested out GZDoom on the 64 bit version of the Raspberry Pi Operating System. I am sure the ARM64, and the AMD64 version of the GZDoom program will perform the same. LZDoom is still usable with GZDoom based DOOM mods, but DOOM mod developers are moving towards GZDoom only support, and previous versions of GZDoom will not be supported by the mod. The larger DOOM mods usually display numerous errors in the GZDoom console, and I wouldn't use those mods very often. DOOM mods will implement several changes to the base DOOM game, and will play completely different from DOOM. Use DOOM mods at your own risk.

GZDoom is still better than the Bethesda Softworks L.L.C. release of The Ultimate DOOM, which is called DOOM Enhanced. I have not used DOOM Enhanced very often, you will have a copy of DOOM Enhanced if you own a copy of The Ultimate DOOM on GOG.com or the Steam Store. I would only recommend DOOM Enhanced to people who are not familiar with DOOM mods, because you will be able to install DOOM WADS in DOOM Enhanced using the built in browser. The worst part of DOOM Enhanced is the menu lag, the crosshair, and awful looking interface. How is there menu lag in DOOM? This is a very low effort release of The Ultimate DOOM.

There are DOOM Engine source ports that are designed for 64 bit operating systems. I will test those DOOM source ports one of these days. All I see with 64 bit releases of DOOM source ports are Beta releases or Alpha releases of the program, whatever. People on the Doomworld forums seem to use the 64 bit DOOM source ports to record gameplay sessions including Decino on YouTube. A 64 bit version of PrBoom-Plus? Let's see what happens, but I am very particular about my DOOM source ports. If I can't shoot a Revenant with the shotgun, I am out of there. This is a big deal, because I always see the Revenant in the DOOM maps that I test.

I have been active on the Doomworld Forums, and I have been releasing more DOOM maps. Building DOOM maps is not the most rewarding side project that I have initiated, but I am able to provide support to the other DOOM map developers. I expanded into Facebook, and yes I have returned to Facebook after leaving Facebook in 2019. I guess I had nothing to do on Facebook back then. This was a time before I started using the Raspberry Pi computer. This time around the idea with Facebook is to connect people to DOOM maps, and promote DOOM mapping projects.

Building DOOM maps is not the most engaging project, it is more of the opposite. Building DOOM maps is actually more depressing than anything else, because people fail at building DOOM maps at every level. Imagine an entire retail game that consists of only these low quality, and depressing DOOM maps. Those games belong in the landfill, and no one should spend any money on these games. Long story short, I help people build DOOM maps, and build my own DOOM maps on the side. With this approach I will be able to showcase my map ideas to people, which people will be able to test using a DOOM Engine source port of their choice.

Building DOOM maps has rewards, but the rewards are not always very noticeable. You can't assume people are always following your ideas, because people can't always give you advice. You have to decide if your ideas are good or bad. If people gave you positive feedback all the time, you would have no motivation to improve. As I build DOOM maps my understanding of the DOOM Engine improves, and I am able to build better DOOM maps. The same idea can apply to anyone who has the time, and patience to understand the DOOM Engine. Complex DOOM maps will take a long time to develop, but these maps will be a higher quality DOOM map when the map is released.

I am not monitoring website traffic from the social media websites, but I am still spreading the word about DOOM maps. I track the number of downloads my maps have accumulated over time using the ModDB website. I track website traffic using the Doomworld Forums topic view counter. Expanding into Facebook is a new project I am working on, and this expansion will involve the Raspberry Pi Forums. I have to figure that part out first. With Facebook, I leave a link on Facebook about these guides that I write, and in theory there will be more web traffic to the Raspberry Pi Forums. More specifically the guides that I write. I would imagine 5 to 10 extra people a day, I wouldn't get very excited.

Involving Facebook, instead of writing posts on your personal Facebook page, you write posts on a Facebook group Timeline. More web traffic takes place in a Facebook group compared to the level of web traffic you would see on your Facebook account. I joined a Linux Facebook group, and I would read the posts in the Linux Facebook group to understand the rules of the group. The guides I write are about Linux, this means I am in the right place. I write a post on the Linux Facebook group timeline, and people click on the links. Long story short, what you do on the Linux Facebook group is about the same as what you would do on the Raspberry Pi Forums.

Time to move towards the bad news. I have been absent from the Raspberry Pi Forums, because I was involved in a severe accident, which I caused. No one was injured during the accident, but long story short, I did not have access to a desktop computer at the time. This means I was not able to use a Raspberry Pi computer until recently, and the situation is improving over time. I am busier than usual, but all I have to say to anyone, if a project exposes you to danger, you should probably get out unless you know what you are doing.

I have to replace most of my computer equipment eventually, because of the accident. I have access to all of the computer resources that I need to proceed with business as usual. I was using a laptop most of the time, and reluctantly the laptop that I made was actually usable. I built a new Windows computer recently, which is currently active. I already wrote the same story on Facebook, and the Doomworld Forums. I should be all set with the story, and if anyone needed to know, the accident took place close to Thanksgivings Day.

I had spare computer parts around, and that is how I built a computer. I was surprised to find out the computer RAM, and PCI sound card was still functioning after all of these years. I haven't used a sound card in over 10 years, because installing sound card drivers can be challenging. Without the sound card drivers the computer will not output audio, because the motherboard does not have audio drivers or something. All I really needed was a faster computer processor to complete the computer system build, and I decided to order a new workstation graphics card for the computer. I moved away from using standard video cards for some reason.

Crispy-Doom has very low system requirements, and will probably run on any computer. Crispy-Doom is an enhanced version of Chocolate-Doom with additional built in menus. My favorite part of Crispy-Doom is the crosshair, and the brightmaps. Crispy-Doom is limit removing, and will be compatible with DeHackEd patches included with DOOM mods. DeHackEd patches are necessary to implement custom content in a DOOM mod. Use the Crispy-Doom Setup program to adjust additional settings in the Crispy-Doom program.

In the screenshot at the beginning of the guide, I have the Struggle: Antaresian Legacy DOOM2 mod running in Crispy-Doom on the Raspberry Pi computer. Struggle: Antaresian Legacy is a DOOM2 mod full of custom content. It is a known fact not every DOOM mod requires GZDoom or Zandronum/Skulltag, and reading the mod .TXT file should point you in the right direction. Most DOOM mods are GZDoom based, and Boom based DOOM mods are more difficult to find. There are numerous terms you would need to understand about DOOM mods if you plan to set up your own DOOM games. All of that information is on the internet, and is not hard to find.

Before compiling any program, disable any overclock parameters on your computer.

Free image hosting provided by the ImgBB website.
Upload and share your images.
ImgBB website:
https://imgbb.com/

Here is a link to the Crispy-Doom GitHub website:

GitHub - fabiangreffrath/crispy-doom: Crispy Doom is a limit-removing enhanced-resolution Doom source port based on Chocolate Doom.
https://github.com/fabiangreffrath/crispy-doom

To install Crispy-Doom from the Raspberry Pi repository:

Code: Select all

sudo apt install crispy-doom
To build the Crispy-Doom source code:

Install the dependencies:

sudo apt install git cmake libsdl2-dev libsdl2-mixer-dev libsdl2-net-dev libsamplerate0-dev zlib1g-dev libpng-dev
Download the Crispy-Doom source code:

git clone https://github.com/fabiangreffrath/crispy-doom.git
Access the crispy-doom directory:

cd crispy-doom
Run the cmake command:

cmake .
Build the Crispy-Doom source:

make -j4
Compiling Crispy-Doom will take less than 1 minute on the Raspberry Pi 4 computer. After compiling the Crispy-Doom source, you will need a copy of DOOM.WAD to start the Crispy-Doom program. Find your copy of DOOM, access the DOOM game folder, and search for the DOOM.WAD file. Copy DOOM.WAD to the crispy-doom/src directory, and access the crispy-doom/src directory in the terminal.

To access the crispy-doom binary directory:

cd crispy-doom/src
To execute the crispy-doom binary:

./crispy-doom -iwad DOOM.WAD
To execute the crispy-doom-setup binary:

./crispy-doom-setup
The -iwad parameter will load DOOM.WAD with Crispy-Doom. If Crispy-Doom is not able to find the DOOM.WAD file, the program will not execute. Crispy-Doom will be compatible with various DOOM engine WAD files. Check the Crispy-Doom GitHub website for more information.

This will conclude the Crispy-Doom - Enhanced DOOM Engine Source Port and Personal Updates build guide.

UPDATE FEBRUARY 19TH 2023:
  • Added 64 bit DOOM source port explanation
  • Added building DOOM maps explanation
  • Added building spare computer explanation
  • Added DOOM mods explanation
  • Added Crispy-Doom screenshot
  • Added Facebook groups explanation

Moonmarch

Re: Crispy-Doom - Enhanced DOOM Engine Source Port Build Guide and Personal Updates

Mon Feb 20, 2023 1:30 am

UPDATE FEBRUARY 19TH 2023:
  • Added 64 bit DOOM source port explanation
  • Added building DOOM maps explanation
  • Added building spare computer explanation
  • Added DOOM mods explanation
  • Added Crispy-Doom screenshot
  • Added Facebook groups explanation

Return to “Gaming”