Chimneyfactory

Screen rotation on 2nd screen is not remembered between reboots when using Openbox (works OK with mutter)

Tue May 30, 2023 4:20 pm

For my personal preference, and for a small perceived speed increase when working under load, I run my Raspberry Pi 4 (8GB) with Openbox rather than Mutter.

(I have modified /usr/bin/startlxde-pi

from

Code: Select all

if ( [ -z "$ISPI" ] || [ $TOTAL_MEM -ge 2048 ] ) && [ -f /usr/bin/mutter ] && [ -z "$VNC" ] ; then

to

if ( [ -z "$ISPI" ] || [ $TOTAL_MEM -ge 20480 ] ) && [ -f /usr/bin/mutter ] && [ -z "$VNC" ] ; then
That aside, it is a stock Raspberry PI OS 64 bit setup

$ uname -a
Linux rpi4  6.1.21-v8+ #1642 SMP PREEMPT Mon Apr  3 17:24:16 BST 2023 aarch64 GNU/Linux
I recently added a 2nd monitor, which I have orientated in portrait style.

I changed the orientation of the screen (preferences>screen configuration) and all looked good. It changed the screen dynamically without requiring a reboot.

Next day when switching on again, the screen orientation was back to default.

I changed it again, which it did without reboot.

But after a power cycle, it's back to default again.

HOWEVER

When I booted with a different Raspberry Pi OS image that uses the Mutter window manager, changing the screen configuration tells me I must reboot for it to take effect. And following a reboot, the settings stick.

So, it seems that in Openbox, screen orientation isn't remembered between reboots.

Is this a bug, and is there anything I can do other than use Mutter rather than Openbox?

thanks

Ian

kerry_s

Re: Screen rotation on 2nd screen is not remembered between reboots when using Openbox (works OK with mutter)

Tue May 30, 2023 7:53 pm

you can put the xrandr setting in autostart.
something like:

xrandr --output HDMI-1 --right-of HDMI-0 --rotate left
you can run in terminal test, no reboot required.

Return to “Raspberry Pi OS”