simonlines

User name and password

Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:16 am

I have only got the raspberry about an hour ago, but i think i have already messed it up. Whenever I start it up it says that I need to enter a login and password. i do not remember creating a login and password. is there a way to get rid of all the resent data and start anew. please help,
Simon

tonyhughes

Re: User name and password

Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:12 am

If you are running Raspbian, the username is 'pi' and the password is 'raspberry'.

To start fresh, you simply re-image your SD card from an image you download from the 'Downloads' page on this site (that you may already have done, if you didn't get a pre-installed card, in which case, no need to download again).

If you re-image your card, the initial username and password will still be 'pi' and 'raspberry'.

(Edit: corrected bad password. Don't type and conduct cellular telephony conversations at the same time kiddies.)
Last edited by tonyhughes on Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:11 am, edited 2 times in total.

simonlines

Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:55 am

I just tried that, thank you! But there is still a problem. When I get passed the Login, it says password and it wont let me type. This is very strang. Please help again,
Simon

tonyhughes

Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:07 am

Follow these steps exactly:

Get to the login prompt.
Type

Code: Select all

pi
and press enter, then turn off your display, and while the display is off, carefully type

Code: Select all

raspberry
and then press enter, THEN turn the display back on.

Report back.

robsbots

Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:08 am

When you type the password, the characters are not displayed on the screen. Just type the password and press enter. It should then log you in or prompt for a new user name and password if it was not correct.

If you fail to get in with 'pi' and 'raspbian' you might try 'pi' as the username and 'raspberry' as the password.

This is the set up I have.

Hope this helps.

tonyhughes

Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:10 am

robsbots wrote:When you type the password, the characters are not displayed on the screen. Just type the password and press enter.
Spoilsport. :mrgreen:

Joe Schmoe

Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:11 am

First of all, it will always ask you for an id and password - that's just the Unix way.

Yes, there is a way to fix this - and I strongly recommend doing so, since there's really no need for ids and pws in a home machine.

That said, it is the case that when people say "It didn't let me type anything", what they usually mean is that it doesn't echo back what they type - not even *s like it does when you type a password in some other OSes. But the advice is just to go ahead and type it in, even though it looks like nothing is happening. When you press enter, it should log you in.

Yes, it is all very strange - but as they say, you don't really learn Unix; you just get used to it.
And some folks need to stop being fanboys and see the forest behind the trees.

(One of the best lines I've seen on this board lately)

simonlines

Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:20 am

dear tony, I am sorry , and this may sound a bit on the thick side, but what do you mean by "turn off display" please report back,
simon

tonyhughes

Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:21 am

Press the power button on your monitor...

simonlines

Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:26 am

what does code salect all mean, because it says so above your wordy thingys

tonyhughes

Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:27 am

Just type your username as

pi

and press enter.

Then type your password as

raspberry

and press enter.

plugwash
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:30 am

simonlines wrote:dear tony, I am sorry , and this may sound a bit on the thick side, but what do you mean by "turn off display" please report back,
simon
He is telling you to turn off the monitor so you won't notice that nothing is displayed while you are typing your password. In other words he is teasing you. I've just sent him a warning about this.

Not displaying anything while passwords are typed is the traditional way of doing things on the unix command line. It has the advantage over the typical GUI behaviour of displaying stars that someone looking over your shoulder can't tell how long your password is.

tonyhughes

Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:36 am

To be fair, my way was much less wordy, and really illustrated the point.

Receiving a warning in public in IRC, then a private warning, then a third moan here seems excessive.

Read the thread - there was genuine help going on.

simonlines

Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:40 am

I tried pi as login and raspberry as password and several other suggestions, but they all dont work. Becoming desperate. PLEASE HELP!!!!!

robsbots

Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:53 am

Make sure you are not using upper case for the user name and the password.

If this still does not work, I would try starting from scratch.

Download the Raspbain Wheezy from Downloads.

Then follow the instructions in the quick-start-guide-v1.1.pdf to write the image to your sd card, boot up and hopefully get up and running.

If this still doesn't work, someone here with a bit more knowledge will be able to help I'm sure.

Rob

rpdom

Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:40 am

simonlines wrote:I tried pi as login and raspberry as password and several other suggestions, but they all dont work. Becoming desperate. PLEASE HELP!!!!!
After you type in the password and press Enter, does it come back with "Login incorrect", or something else?

simonlines

Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:15 pm

it says login incorrect

Joe Schmoe

Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:14 pm

simonlines wrote:it says login incorrect
You should read: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 9&p=257826

Search for (i.e., scroll down to) the first post by"schmoe". There is a long description about how to hack into your machine, using the "init=/bin/sh" trick. It assumes that you have a Windows (or Mac or whatever) machine available and can use that machine to edit the cmdline.txt file in the FAT partition.

P.S. There is some dithering in that writeup about how to boot the Pi from the "init=/bin/sh" shell. It turns out the easiest and best way is simpely to do: exec /sbin/init

and away you go!!!
And some folks need to stop being fanboys and see the forest behind the trees.

(One of the best lines I've seen on this board lately)

aelsas

Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:10 am

Hi,

what is your keyboard setting?

Different languages have different layouts, e.g. German and English settings have y and z switched...

Best regards

Alex

simonlines

Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:22 am

Dear all,
Is there a way to wipe all the existing memory and start anew, because there is nothing valuable on the sd cart exept for raspberian. The card had the opperating system preprogramed. is there a way to wipe it all away exept for the raspberrian? Please help
Simon

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:11 pm

just start again, but first format your card with the official sd association formatting tool, from the downloads section, and use full format, (not quick format) with size adjustment turned on (otherwise the existing partitions on the card will not be removed).

angelishaina

Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:14 pm

I have a problem regarding this. I put "pi" and "raspberry" as you can say as the universal username and password for raspbian. But, after I put the username and password the result is always "access denied". please help me regarding this matter. Thank you!

ScoobySnacks

Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:26 am

I have a similar problem. Thought I'd experiment and rebooted using simple reboot command (rather than the usual sudo reboot). Now I'm stuck at the login screen.

When I type raspberry as a password, it cycles through a black screen then back to the login. When I enter anything else as PW it comes up with a big red "password incorrect" warning. Suggests that the pw is raspberry but it's just refusing to boot in to the OS.

I've tried the traditional methods (unplug it then plug it in again) with no luck.

Any ideas?

DougieLawson

Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:45 pm

What's your keyboard layout? Is it a UK keyboard?

Try typing the password in the userid box (only so you can see what comes out and whether any keys on your keyboard generate the wrong code).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_a ... _keyboards
Languages using left-hand whitespace for syntax are ridiculous

DMs sent on https://twitter.com/DougieLawson or LinkedIn will be answered next month.
Fake doctors - are all on my foes list.

The use of crystal balls and mind reading is prohibited.

Plasmatikk

Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:36 am

Why i type it and it doesn't work either? Can someone explain me why it doesn't work? :?:

Return to “Troubleshooting”