spike15

help with Occidentalis .1 or .2

Sat May 11, 2013 6:58 pm

can anyone help or am i lost ??
well after installing Occidentalis v0.2 using Win32DiskImager and flashnul and Fedora ARM Installer they all install wheezy no problem but when it comes to Occidentalis .1 or .2 nothing narda and so leaving me feeling at all was a waste of time and money why ? , is the only answer to spend more money on something that still wont/cant work i wont do anything at all i need help as im a noob
thanks in advance !

DirkS

Re: help with Occidentalis .1 or .2

Sat May 11, 2013 11:09 pm

Can you elaborate a bit more of *what* exactly is going wrong?
Image cannot be written to the SD card? Occidentalis does not boot? If not, what *do* you see (Leds going on / blinking, etc).
What type of Pi do you have (Model A / B)?

Gr.
Dirk.

itimpi

Sun May 12, 2013 6:22 am

DirkS wrote:Can you elaborate a bit more of *what* exactly is going wrong?
Image cannot be written to the SD card? Occidentalis does not boot? If not, what *do* you see (Leds going on / blinking, etc).
What type of Pi do you have (Model A / B)?

Gr.
Dirk.
Also, what make of RAM is fitted. If it is a recent one with Hynix RAM then it is likely that files on the boot partition will need updating befor the system can boot.

spike15

Sun May 12, 2013 6:45 am

hi thanks i have put Occidentalis .1 or .2 to the sd cards put them in pi model b 512mb ram then nothing but 1 red light also it has been connected to the internet via lan cable and all i get is a red light ,
but if i put wheezy on a sd card as soon as the pi powers on nearly all the lights flash/come on and the pi boots up into the desktop ! the sd cards kingston micro sdhc 8gb class 4 with sd adaptor and a integral ultima pro sdhc 8gb class 10 both work very well with wheezy but nothing with Occidentalis .1 or .2 but 1 red light oh and i did get a very fast act green light on ultima pro , I was trying to set up WebIde but since the pi was not coming on/booting up there was no connection to the internet also have tried this morning a 4gb sandisk class 4 with the same (just a red light) thanks again also i have downloaded Occidentalis .1 and .2 again to find the same thing happening i'd tear my hair out if i had any thanks to DirkS and itimpi for replying to me

spike15

Sun May 12, 2013 6:50 am

hi yes itimpi it is hynix ram how would i up date it for Occidentalis ??? thanks

itimpi

Sun May 12, 2013 6:57 am

spike15 wrote:hi yes itimpi it is hynix ram how would i up date it for Occidentalis ??? thanks
That would explain why it is not booting. I do not have the references to hand, but there a number of threads covering what you need to update on the boot partition.

DirkS

Sun May 12, 2013 7:42 pm

how would i up date it for Occidentalis
IIRC the following files need updating: bootcode.bin, start.elf, fixup.dat and kernel.img.
I can think of 2 ways of doing that:
1. If you have a spare SD card download the latest Wheezy from this site, put it on an SD card. Then immediately (card still inserted in PC) copy above files from the SD card to a save location.
Then copy these files to the Occidentalis card. This card should then be bootable in your Pi.

2. Download above files from the repository at https://github.com/Hexxeh/rpi-firmware and copy them straight to your Occidentalis card (these files are actually newer than the ones in the Wheezy image).

HTH
Dirk.

raysko

Thu May 23, 2013 5:55 pm

Hi DirkS ,

Thank you for the post, I had the same issue and now it boots.

But, the USB mouse and keyboard don't seem to be recognized...

Ray

andrew12361

Sat May 25, 2013 3:23 pm

raysko wrote:Hi DirkS ,

Thank you for the post, I had the same issue and now it boots.

But, the USB mouse and keyboard don't seem to be recognized...

Ray
I seem to be having the same problem. Keyboard worked initially but once I started the GUI it stopped. Any solutions?

marmarti

Tue May 28, 2013 1:17 am

I have the same issue,
USB MOUSE and Keyboard are not working
tested connected directly and with a powered usb hub

marmarti

Tue May 28, 2013 1:36 am

Resolved the USB Keyboard and MOUSE issue by

1. Install Occidentalis from scratch in your SD card

2. Download rpi-firmware-master files from the repository at https://github.com/Hexxeh/rpi-firmware

3. Replace
bootcode.bin
start.elf
fixup.dat

Regards

raysko

Thu May 30, 2013 4:38 pm

Hello marmarti,

Thank you for your advice, I tried it and it is working fine with both mouse and keyboard !!

Regards,

Ray

andrew12361

Thu May 30, 2013 11:33 pm

Worked perfectly!

Thanks,
Andrew

bhandari1708

Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:12 pm

I have been facing the same problem as described by many others on this forum. Trying to install Occidentalis but it does not work. I have tried different methods suggested on various sited and tried loading it using mac and PC. I finally realized that hynix ram might have been my issue and came across this post. I tried replacing the files on a fresh install using mac and PC but still the same issues. The red light is on and stays on, nothing shows up on the screen. Anyone suggestions on what I could try to figure out where I am going wrong?

dkurban

Sat Apr 12, 2014 4:56 pm

First of all I am so glad I found this post. It helped me get Occidentalis to boot on my PI. As stated earlier the keyboard and mouse worked initially and then once the gui started the USB keyboard did not work.
I replaced the files as stated earlier but still no USB keyboard.

Can anyone help further with this issue? Any more ideas on how to get the USB keyboard to work?

Thanks in advance for all replies.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think this needs to be pointed out.
Just the bootcode.bin start.elf and the fixup.dat files need to be updated. When I read the thread I followed and replaced the kernel.img which made my USB Keyboard/trackpad quit working.

Oh well, maybe some followed more closely than me, but if you find you have made the same mistake I did just start over and keep the kernel/img file.

Octo

Sun Jul 13, 2014 1:18 am

Hi everyone, I'm having a bit of a different problem.

I downloaded and placed the firmware files from github on the SD card and got the pi to boot (which was nice). But now im stuck with some error messages I can't make sense of on the boot screen. Here are some

VFS: cannot open root device "mmcblk0p2" or unknown-block(179,2): error -6
Please Append a correct "root=" bootoption: here are the available partitions:
b300 7676928 nncblk driver; mmc blk
kernel panic - not syncing; vfs; unable to mount root fs on unknown - block (179,2)
PANIC: vfs: unable to mount root fs on unknown block (179,2)

Return to “Beginners”