skaldicpoet9

How do I uninstall Chromium browser?

Mon May 27, 2013 4:26 am

I recently installed the Chromium browser on my Pi using sudo apt-get install chromium-browser. However, I failed to think of the fact that Chromium would be a bit too much for my model B to handle. I tried uninstalling Chromium with sudo apt-get purge chromium-browser but Chromium still remains on my system. I tried sudo apt-get remove --auto-remove --purge chromium-browser but the command line tells me that Chromium is not installed. The funny thing is I am typing to you from Chromium. Anyways, is there a way to get rid of Chromium for all? I am trying to make room on my Pi because I only have a measly 5.2mb left apparently. Which actually brings me to a second question: how much space does the Wheezy distro take up on the SD card? Its been a bit since I installed the OS so I don't remember how big the image was, but it is strange that I have so little memory left. I have only installed Vim, Dungeon Crawl and Chromium. Is there a way that I can clear up some more room, maybe some type of temporary files or what not? Anyways, I appreciate any help ;)

ghans

Re: How do I uninstall Chromium browser?

Mon May 27, 2013 4:45 am

Code: Select all

sudo raspi-config
Select the expand_rootfs option.
I can't help you with chromium , though

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

Speedwell68

Mon May 27, 2013 5:16 am

Have you simply tried sudo apt-get remove chromium-browser?

Heater

Mon May 27, 2013 5:24 am

I notice raspian has the following chromium packages:

$ apt-cache search chromium
chromium - Google's open source chromium web browser
chromium-browser - Chromium browser - transitional dummy package
$
I have no idea what "transitional dummy" might imply but I would try:

$ apt-get remove chromium-browser
$ apt-get remove chromium
$ apt-get autoremove
$ apt-get clean
How much space? I hardly remeber. I thought 2GB was enough to get it installed. 4GB is nice if you want to install some programs. I installed Free Pascal and Qt5 and node.js for some experiments I want to do and that takes my SD to 4.1 GB used 2.9 available.
Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction .

rpdom

Mon May 27, 2013 5:50 am

Transitional dummy packages are used when one package has replaced another.

For example. There used to be a package called "chromium-browser" which contained Google's open source chromium web browser.

Now that has been replaced by a new package called just "chromium". The old "chromium-browser" package is gone. In order that people who had "cromium-browser" installed will still receive updates there is a new version of "chromium-browser" that is empty (hence dummy), but Depends on "chromium" being installed. Once "chromium" has been installed, "chromium-browser" can safely be removed, as it has done its job and is no longer needed.

That is why the OP will have both packages installed. They need to apt-get purge chromium now.

Benfll

Mon May 27, 2013 6:05 am

Try doing

sudo apt-get autoremove chromium

skaldicpoet9

Mon May 27, 2013 6:12 am

Thanks for your replies. I really appreciate the help. Thanks for the rasp-config command ghans. When I tried to expand the rootfs I got a negiligible amount of space so I don't quite know what to do about creating some more space on this SD card. When I ran the 'apt-get clean' command it freed up about 100mb but that was all I could figure to do. As for removing Chromium, I finally found a solution on Google and was able to remove it completely by typing: sudo apt-get remove --auto-remove --purge chromium. Thanks for all of the help. And if anyone can point me in the right direction by helping to free up some space on my Pi that would be excellent (seeing as how I only have ~170mb right now lol).

Return to “General discussion”