mtascavage

Emulation Station - SNES Griffey baseball issue - help!

Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:14 pm

Pretty much all my roms work fine on Emulation Station, but for some reason, Ken Griffey Jr Baseball for SNES doesn't work right.

If you do an exhibition, All Star Game, or World Series, it plays, but there's no player info. If you select 'Season', you see a pile of weird characters and the game reboots itself.

I've tried 3 different roms. It works great on my computer with the ZSNESW emulator, so I don't think it's the rom

It's one of my all time favorite games and I'd really appreciate any help- thx

welshy

Re: Emulation Station - SNES Griffey baseball issue - help!

Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:50 am

mtascavage
As you have suggested there is no problem with a corrupted ROM as it runs in ZSNES on your PC. This being the case, whatever SNES Emulator is being used via Emulation Station (This is NOT an Emulator, its a Front End that uses 'cores' for specific emulators) could be the problem (I believe its 'Pocket SNES' in libretro/Retro Pie). Many SNES games used 'accelerator' Chips (Not just the SuperFX (of which there are four versions), there were a multitude of various DSP's) and many early versions of emulators (Which have been used as the basis for SNES Emulation on the RPi for performance) cant replicate them. Having done a bit of research the Title you mentioned doesn't use any of the variants, so I don't think this is the issue either. The other thing with emulation, many clever software programmers used unauthorised or undocumented code/chip features to 'squeeze' more performance from the hardware that causes 'issues' in emulation (The N64 is notorious for this, I have yet to see any emulator that runs Goldeneye 'Perfectly'). Have you tried puddings PiSNES? It is based on SNES9X (In my Opinion the best SNES Emulator), has a 'Built In' Front End, is optimised for the RPi and an excellent piece of coding, this may be solution to your problem and is available Here - http://code.google.com/p/pisnes/

NB Although it runs many DSP variants, again, it WONT run SuperFX Games!

Update - I can confirm Ken Griffey Jr. Presents Major League Baseball (USA) works fine in PiSNES!
"The list of things I have heard now contains everything!"

mtascavage

Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:55 pm

Thanks very much for doing the research and the info!

I would very much like to try that - I've never tried installing something on top of or in addition to Emulation Station - how would I be able to find PiSNES? Does it show up when I boot into EmulationStation?

Thanks!

welshy

Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:21 am

mtascavage
I don't think any emulators can be 'sourced' into Retro Pie but I may be wrong (I don't use it). My set up uses AdvMENU (An Emulator 'Front End') which allows any Emulator I choose (using a small script) to be added. To try PiSNES, just use a 'stock' Wheezy Image, download the program from the Link Here - http://pisnes.googlecode.com/git/pisnes.zip ,extract the File in a New Folder (Place Anywhere you like, but the /home/pi directory is ideal) add any roms you have to the 'roms' folder, then run either snes9X (Command Line version) or snes9x.gui (GUI Front End version) either from 'X', or Console. The author pudding (Squid) has also released PiMAME4ALL and PiFBA (Final Burn Alpha), both are excellent and the best solutions for these particular emulators on the RPi as like PiSNES they are specifically optimised to the Hardware for better performance (Currently Retro Pie uses 'pocket snes' for its SNES emulation for example which is undoubtedly inferior!).
If you want to explore more emulators for various hardware (Famicom/NES, Super Famicom/SNES, various version of MAME, ZX Spectrum, MegaDrive/Genesis, GBA, DOS etc.) check the 'sticky' Emulation on the RPI (Update) thread, I try to keep it up to date with all the various emulators and 'emulator solutions' (e.g. PiMAME, Retro Pie) available.
"The list of things I have heard now contains everything!"

mtascavage

Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:57 pm

I'll try this - thanks!

Return to “Gaming”