juiceforfun

Error resizing existing FAT partition

Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:56 pm

Hello all,

I just broke out my Pi again yesterday after a year since I could never get it working and gave it another go. I was glad to see the NOOBS download and the quick start guide since I figured things would be easier now. I was able to download NOOBS, format my SD card (PNY 16GB class 6) using the SD formatter suggested in the quick start (formated using full overwrite and resizing on), and I extracted the NOOBS files straight from the .zip folder onto the SD card (I'm doing all of this using my Windows 7 laptop by the way). When I throw it in my Pi and start it up, I first get a rainbow colored screen then it shows the RaspPi logo and says "for recovery mode, hold Shift". The problem is that there is a popup (it won't let me attach pictures but I have one!) that reads an error about not being able to resize the FAT partition. I really have no idea what is going on (I only used Linux for one of my programming courses last year and I never really got into it or learned all that much about Unix). When I hit enter to close the window, it used to bring me to what looked like a terminal. Just now it has brought me to the screen to choose which OS to go with. I chose Raspbian and it was about 60% complete when another error window popped up (also have a picture but still wont let me attach) saying "Error writing image to SD card xz: corrupted data" with a number of records in and records out. I tried a few more times without shutting it down and the same error message popped up immediately. Now when I try to start it up again I just get the rainbow screen. Please help me get this thing working!

rdb

Re: Error resizing existing FAT partition

Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:33 pm

Could you try reformatting the SD card and retrying NOOBS? The message displayed usually indicates that the SD card wasn't formatted properly. NOOBS should fix up the formatting for you but you will still need to recopy the NOOBS files onto the card after seeing the error message.

FTrevorGowen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:41 pm

What version of NOOBS? IIRC there were a few problems with some SD cards which were fixed when 1.2.1 was released.
FWIW there are screenshots of the "NOOBS process" within my webpages starting at http://www.cpmspectrepi.webspace.virgin ... allXP.html (this happens to be for Windows XP initially, linking into a Ubuntu-based install for the final stages, common to both). If this helps you to "pinpoint" exactly when you get the "resize error" that may help us too. (NB: for example, a similar error is given by raspi-config if you select the "Expand Filesystem" option because, by then, NOOBS has already done that).
Trev.
Still running Raspbian Jessie or Stretch on some older Pi's (an A, B1, 2xB2, B+, P2B, 3xP0, P0W, 2xP3A+, P3B, B+, and a A+) but Buster on the P3B+, P4B's & P400. See: https://www.cpmspectrepi.uk/raspberry_pi/raspiidx.htm

drewnoakes

Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:10 pm

I hit the exact same issue. Formatting the SD card, downloading NOOBS 1.2.1 and starting over worked fine.

Burngate

Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:54 pm

I got the same pop-up message.
Reformatting with the SD Card Association’s formatting tool worked.

I'd used the card previously with both Raspbian and RISC OS with no problems.
Raspbian was quite happy resizing its partition, so there can't have been much wrong with the card's format.
And I've reused the card with RISC OS since, again with no problems.

And much googling and wikipediaing has left me bemused as to what the problem could have been

juiceforfun

Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:31 pm

I have the NOOBS version 1.2.1 and the corrupted data message pops up in the middle of writing the Raspbian image to the SD card. I reformatted and copied everything back over and tried again and I get the same error message (not the FAT resize, the one about the corrupted data). I finally decided to try one of the other operating systems (I really wanted Raspbian since its for beginners and that's exactly what I am but at this point I just want to see something work), RaspBMC to be exact, and it worked. It restarted and was on step 1 of 2 for the setup when a command prompt showed up at the bottom and asked if I really wanted to quit. I typed "n" and that caused it to restart and go back to the recovery mode screen. I once again tried Raspbian to no avail. I am going to do some research on the other OS's and see which of the other ones I want to try next but I would really like to get Raspbian working. Thanks for the help again!

drewnoakes

Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:54 pm

@juiceforfun, did you do a full (ie. very slow) reformat of your SD card using the SDFormatter v4.0 tool as described here:

http://www.cpmspectrepi.webspace.virgin ... allXP.html

juiceforfun

Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:05 pm

Ya I did the full overwrite option and made sure the resizing was on, which took around 45 mins to an hour. I just tried Pidora and that has the same corrupted error message. I was finally able to get RISC OS to work and so I am playing around with that but I would really much rather start out with Raspbian.

drgeoff

Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:12 pm

juiceforfun wrote:Ya I did the full overwrite option and made sure the resizing was on, which took around 45 mins to an hour. I just tried Pidora and that has the same corrupted error message. I was finally able to get RISC OS to work and so I am playing around with that but I would really much rather start out with Raspbian.
The old fashioned method (ie pre-NOOBS) of loading Raspbian or any other OS is still available and still works just as well as it did for the million or more users during the last 12 months!
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

rwp30

Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:24 am

I have a new Pi 2 and a new 8GB SD card I have downloaded SD formatter v4 formatted the card and downloaded Noobs v1.4.1 but every time I boot the Pi I get:

"Error resizing existing FAT partition
WARNING: you are attempting to use /usr/sbin/parted to operate on (resize) a file system.
/usr/sbin/parted's file system manipulation code is not robust as what you'll find in dedicated, file system specific packages like e2fsprogs. we recommend you use /usr/sbin/parted only to manipulate partition tables, whenever possible.
support for performing most operations on most types of file systems will be removed in an upcoming release.
Warning file system is reporting the free space as 212117 clusters, not 212105 clusters.

any ideas????

rwp30

Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:11 pm

I have now downloaded the SD card image instead and that works fine on the same card.

Manuel Reza

Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:59 pm

I am having same issue or related, the error shows

"Error resizing existing FAT partition
Warning: File system is reporting the freespace as 454684 clusters, no
454683 clusters."

I have done most of the mentioned but formatting the card in other device, any other idea?

B.Goode

Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:48 pm

Quite simply, the card has not been formatted correctly. NOOBS does not want to make any changes to a card whose formatting is inconsistent or broken, because it might cause subsequent failures.

Once you have a card that has been formatted correctly, NOOBS will proceed. It isn't really a problem with the RPi or NOOBS.

Pretty much all that is known about these issues is written here: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=58151

Manuel Reza

Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:46 pm

Thanks, that was the problem, I tried several other computers to format the card and at last tried a camera to format, so much faster and easy and now is working.........thanks

nightmarezr

Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:43 pm

I tried everything, but i still have error resizing existing FAT partition. I will eat this raspberry pi and finish with this problems. :twisted:

FenrisHexenhammer

Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:14 pm

It's all in the formatting of the card. It needs to be set as a BOOT partition. This is missing from the Raspberry Pi setup instructions.

Bam!

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:18 pm

locking, all info previously supplied was simply wrong!

Return to “Troubleshooting”