47uf

minecraft server protocol error

Sat Sep 21, 2013 1:53 am

Hi All,
After purchasing a RPi model B rev2 from Element 14 with the stock 4gb card ( which crashed and they replaced ) I downloaded Noobs and had a look at the different flavors of the OS's, Rasbian, Pidora, Arch ect. Then came across the Bukkit minecraft server posts using this guide http://picraftbukkit.webs.com/pi-minecr ... ver-how-to I then downloaded both the soft and hard float images of Rasbian. Using two 32gb SD cards and Win32 disc imaging tool I burnt the ISO's too the cards ( I did both for testing purposes ).

Then using ssh and PuTTy copied all the files Java, Spigot, DUC, from a Win 8 pro machine to the Pi ( as opposed to using wget if the card becomes corrupted you still have the files ) the "build" went fine. Port forwarded ( port 25565 ) and took care of Windows firewall settings, set up and account with no-ip.com linked the IP of the Pi to the No-ip account. Using the line of code

Code: Select all

sudo /opt/jdk1.8.0/bin/java -Xms256M -Xmx496M -jar /home/pi/spigot.jar nogui 
the server is started after that I op myself.

The Pi is not running headless so I can see what's going on in the terminal, The Pi configuration goes as follows Pi > RJ45 cable > TP-link MR3020 router > ZTE USB Modem to connect to the internet. Using a Win 8 pro ( browser Mozilla / SE Google ) or Linux Mint 14 machine ( Iceweasel / Google ) as the server is running I attempt to "log in" to the server. After entering "domain name" from no-ip.com or the IP address and port no. I get an error message from Mozilla/google "cannot connect to server" however the terminal shows the message eg > 15:55:39 [INFO] Disconnecting /192.168.x.xxx:64xx9: Protocol error ( followed by the line ) 15:55:39 [INFO] /192.168.x.xxx:64xx9: lost connection > Upon reading the server logs file I can see all my vain attempts at trying to connect. Oddly though the internet time is correct and set on the router however the example lost connection time above is out by some 6 hours?

I can ping the server do an nslookup on my no-ip domain both return a result ie. server connected to the internet/online? and the IP address with the Protocol error is from which ever machine I have attempted to connect with. This issue occurs with both the soft and hard float images of Raspbian yet I have read many posts about people having no trouble putting this combo together ( the only real complaint seems to be about lag on some build configs ) .

It is obvious I have done something wrong but what? I have done countless Google searches, reading on this forum and others in relation to all the aspects of what is required to put together such a setup however with no resolve. The purpose of the exercise is to a) Learn how to put together a server b) access it c) make use of it and understand how/what makes the process work together ie. TCP/IP ect. and ultimately learn something by doing!

Thanks in advance to anyone who can shine some light on the situation any help would be much appreciated.

Regards.....47uf

mrpi64

Re: minecraft server protocol error

Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:21 pm

Try running a different server. Or it could be outdated and unusable.

47uf

Re: minecraft server protocol error

Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:33 pm

Hi mrpi64 thanks for the reply,

mrpi64 said,

Code: Select all

Try running a different server. Or it could be outdated and unusable. 
As far as I'm aware the server version of spigot 1.6.2 which I used is at the moment is the latest version I may be incorrect. When it come's to using a different server is there anything you could suggest as I am new to minecraft it is basically a test bed for building and using one's own server. Also assuming I did everything correctly and the server version is current, is there anything client side I need / missed or was not aware of in regard to being able to log in ie. client side minecraft software for log in - may sound like a stupid question however some stupid questions yield very intelligent responses - trying to cover ever base here.

I am also aware this was very popular topic some 8 or 9 months ago and seemingly well documented hence why I choose to go down this path I did not think I would need to ask any questions as most had been answered.

Cheers 47uf

Return to “Gaming”