liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Re: Conferences and other public appearances

Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:46 pm

Ross from the Transfer Summit team has very kindly offered sponsored passes to the summit for people who can email him with a really good reason why they should be able to come. The passes include accommodation and a slap-up gala dinner.

I really hope some of you can convince him with a compelling reason to visit us - I know the price of a pass was beyond quite a lot of folk here. If you're a board member who does visit the summit, I'd love it if you could bring a camera and take some pictures for everyone here when you come. See you there!
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

liz

Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:25 pm

And more news - we've just confirmed (at 12.20 am - Raspberry Pi has pushed me into some of the oddest hours I've worked since I was an 18-year-old barmaid) that a speaking slot has opened up at the Transfer Summit, so Eben will be talking from 14:20 - 14:50 on Wed 07 about our relationship with open source. Come and learn how our business model differs from that of the underpants gnomes!

Making this thread sticky so it's nice and visible. Later on, I'll morph it into a general conferences thread.

MDC

Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:38 pm

I had better get my X-factor / Britains got talent sad sack speech ready.

Hmmmm

Let me practise crying on demand

liz

Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:46 pm

We'll be at Maker Faire in NYC on September 17 - see http://www.raspberrypi.org/?p=132 for more details.

Eben will also be delivering a paper at the European Business Ethics Network conference (which has a splendidly humorous acronym) in Antwerp on September 16. It's a business ethics paper not related to Raspberry Pi, and because it's a corporate conference it's very expensive to attend, but those of you who are already going might like to drop by and say hi. (Try to get him in the morning if you can - he'll be running to the airport afterwards to get to Maker Faire in NYC the next day.)

ukscone
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:50 pm

they have ethics in business? you live and learn

liz

Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:51 pm

Yeah - there's a network and everything. :)

iAreNewb

Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:43 am

Eben at EBEN. It all makes sense. I'm enlightened!

emercer

Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:07 pm

Perchance you wouldn't come any nearer to Latin America than New York anytime soon? Want me to dig up some conferences where you guys could attend/deliver a keynote/tap dance?

Edit: There's Linuxcon Brazil in november: http://events.linuxfoundation......on-brasil/

starhawk

Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:35 am

If I may ask... since I can't hold a ruler up to my screen and tell, how big was the monitor you used at the Transfer Summit? I assume the video was playing full screen... (I am embarrassed to admit that I haven't seen the YouTube vid yet.)

I'm trying to explain to my friend exactly how capable your device is. Keep in mind that he's used to thinking about computers that have power supplies rated for hundreds of watts, and can't imagine how something that pulls about as much as his shaver's wall-wart could actually be useful, let alone awesome like this.

obarthelemy

Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:45 am

I don't know the size, but it was full HD, ie 1920x1080p resoltution.
There's also a Quake 3 demo somewhere, 20-30 fps.
Keep in mind that it is a bit of a border case though, because the Pi's chip has a Videocore hardware engine that's especially dedicated to decoding H.264 (Blue-Ray). Results with other codecs will not be as good, and the CPU has nowhere near the power to do that decoding in software.

There's been a floating point perf test:
Quote from jamesh on September 5, 2011, 09:17
I just compiled as follows

gcc -O3 -mfloat-abi=softfp

and got the following much improved results...

Memory required: 315K.
LINPACK benchmark, Double precision.
Machine precision: 15 digits.
Array size 200 X 200.
Average rolled and unrolled performance:

Reps Time(s) DGEFA DGESL OVERHEAD KFLOPS
----------------------------------------------------
8 0.51 90.20% 3.92% 5.88% 22888.889
16 1.02 89.22% 4.90% 5.88% 22888.889
32 2.05 90.24% 3.41% 6.34% 22888.889
64 4.08 91.42% 2.94% 5.64% 22829.437
128 8.16 91.54% 2.94% 5.51% 22799.827
256 16.31 91.35% 2.76% 5.89% 22903.800

and no MIPS test that I know of.

starhawk

Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:47 am

That's still incredibly impressive.

pleione

Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:32 am

Just wondering if any of the team would be interested in giving a talk to our local Linux Users Group about Raspberry Pi, Linux and Open Source? and what costs/expectations would be if it were possible.

pauldow

Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:03 pm

Hi,
It was very nice meeting Eben and Liz Saturday. I stopped by the table a couple times during the day, and the talks in the Make:Live area behind them was about 1/3 to 1/2 full. When Eben spoke, it was standing room only.
It's nice to see that you're not wasting money on flashy display material that doesn't add value to your company. :-)
Here's a couple of photos from the day. There's just no way to get a picture of Liz without a smile on her.

I happened to catch Eben in mid-word. He joked about preparing his presentation on the back of a business card just minutes before going on, but since he knows his stuff, the only need is to avoid getting diverted from what the group wanted to learn.

And on a more practical topic: Fritz and Stephen - Otherwise known as Eepy Bird

liz

Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:11 pm

It was great to see you too! We were so pleased to see how enthusiastic everybody was (and how many people had come specifically to see us - bit shout out to A from Pittsburgh!) Thanks very much for taking the pics and posting them here.

mvb

Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:47 pm

Uhhmm, yes, nice perspective in that video.
In regard to sound: It is quite clear, too.
But, beg your pardon, I cannot understand a word. I think because of background noises are most clear while Mr. Upton's voice is not. But I might be wrong on behalf of not beeing a native speaker!

abishur

Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:30 am

Don't worry mvb, I'm a native speaker and I still had to listen extra hard past the background noise ;) Hopefully someone will make a transcript for it sometime soon. :)
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

Ned

Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:22 am

From acorn.announce
The RISC OS London Show
ROUGOL are very pleased to announce that this year's show will have on
display a development version of the Raspberry Pi.
Saturday 29th October 2011
11am - 5pm
St Giles Hotel, Feltham
Entry £5 (pay on door)
Under 16 - Free
http://www.riscoslondonshow.co.uk/

Chris Tyler

Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:17 pm

We're delighted that Eben has agreed to speak (and demo!) at the 10th Annual Free Software and Open Source Symposium/LinuxFest 2011, Oct 27-29, in Toronto. If you're in this corner of the world, details are at http://fsoss.ca

liz

Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:02 am

Eben will be at the ARM TechCon in Santa Clara on Oct 26-27. At the moment, I believe ARM will be hosting him on the ARM stand (because the ARM11 is such an integral part of the Raspberry Pi) - if you're there, please drop by and say hello.

liz

Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:03 am

Quote from Chris Tyler on October 6, 2011, 14:17
We're delighted that Eben has agreed to speak (and demo!) at the 10th Annual Free Software and Open Source Symposium/LinuxFest 2011, Oct 27-29, in Toronto. If you're in this corner of the world, details are at http://fsoss.ca

He'll be there on the 28th - make a note in your calendars!

juanRIOT

Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:58 am

Mabuhay
Is there any part in Asia that's in your itinerary to demo Raspi? Maybe Hongkong?
(Just now my brain shot mortifying images of copycat Raspi's. Chinese are notorious for that."Protect your tech!")
I googled for a computer tech conference held in any Asian country, like Nevada's DEF CON, but nothing came up in the search results or it could just be me not looking hard enough. Since it will be a proper venue to showcase Raspi and get all Asians interested.

asb
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:24 am

"Copycat" Raspi's are not a concern. At least, people making cheap boards - misusing the Raspberry Pi trademark is of course another matter. See Eben's response about open-sourcing schematics and layout at http://interviews.slashdot.org.....-questions

If we do open the hardware, we’ll use a format compatible with a cheap package (Eagle would be my preference, although we’d need to check the limitations in the free version). We very much hope to be able to do this. We’ve said elsewhere that our dream scenario is that someone in China decides to copy our design and start knocking out millions of clones. Remember we’re a not-for-profit organization under English law, and all our trustees have other jobs, so we don’t have the same set of incentives as a regular company.

helpful

Sun Oct 09, 2011 5:56 pm

Although Ned has already mentioned it, as the organiser of the RISC OS London Show I thought a bit more detail might be in order.

For those who don't know the history, RISC OS is the original ARM operating system developed by Acorn for their desktop computers. It was heavily used in UK education, often replacing Acorn's own BBC Micro. As such, a lot of the people still using RISC OS came to it through an educational environment, either as teachers or pupils, and so have quite an affinity with the aims of the Raspberry Pi foundation.

Although RISC OS does not yet run on the R-Pi, we are hopeful that will come about. It could provide a good introductory programming environment as RISC OS can easily be configured to boot (in under a second!) directly into BASIC, complete with ARM assembler for those who really want to get their hands dirty.

So I hope to see some of you at the RISC OS London Show for your chance to play with a Raspberry Pi in a small, friendly, and cheap to get into event :-)

Bryan.

Burngate

Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:56 am

29 Oct 2011 Feltham Hope to be there!

jacklang

Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:04 pm

RP may be on BBC2 Newsnight tonight if no more exciting news breaks and bumps us off

Here is a teaser with David Braben (and Scratch on RP in the background)

Return to “General discussion”