SuperSirLink

NES ROM plays too fast

Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:17 am

I have one ROM (Shadowgate) that runs too fast, well the music at least... Every other ROM I try is fine. I can also play the same ROM with Nestopia on my Mac without issue... Shadowgate seems picky about performance, as if I don't over-clock, then the audio is choppy...

Anyone have any thoughts what might be the cause?

welshy

Re: NES ROM plays to fast

Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:31 am

SuperSirLink
Welcome to the Forum! How much faster is it? First thing, which region are you from? As an example USA/JAP hardware ran at NTSC 60Hz refresh compared to UK/EUR 50Hz PAL, therefore 17% faster and in fullscreen, due to 525 scanlines being displayed on 625 PAL TV's the SNES/MegaDrive displayed 'widescreen' on UK Hardware because the extra lines were missing, they were not supposed to look that way, sloppy conversions were common up until the mid 90's. Most emulators are set for NTSC emulation (60Hz) irrespective of the ROMs being run, however, some run at the Fz of the ROM be it NTSC or PAL, most have the ability to choose the refresh rate. So, it may be

1. Dependant on your region it just seems fast compared to the hardware you previously ran it on (if you owned the original console).
2. Its an NTSC ROM and the others are PAL, the emulator is running at the refresh rate of the ROM (so its running 17% faster than the others).
3. For some reason the emulator isn't 'throttling' the ROM's FPS to actual speeds and is running at the full rate it can calculate and display (e.g. if in PiMAME4ALL you turn off 'throttling' Donkey Kong runs at 350%!).
4. The original ROM had an acceleration Chip (some later NES titles did: MMC1-MMC5 series) and the emulator can't process this correctly, resulting in the speed increase. One 'unofficial' MMC Chip by Konami did have extra hardware for sound which may explain the issue.
5. Not all emulators are the same, it could be Nestopia CAN emulate the title correctly (on MAC) as newer revisions tend to be more accurate/ROM compatible, NOT optimised for performance, where as, whichever one your using on the RPi cannot as due to its 'limited' computational nature often older revisions are used.
"The list of things I have heard now contains everything!"

SuperSirLink

Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:09 pm

Hi! Thanks! Those are interesting points I wasn't aware of or considered. I am pretty sure it is NTSC, but how would I know for sure?

I should have also mention I do have the cart in a playable console and it is faster than even that. Hard to say how much faster, maybe 2x...

I am using RetroArch, I will look and see if there are any settings I can adjust.

Thanks!

welshy

Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:34 pm

SuperSirLink
Generally any ROM downloaded from a site will have JAP/J: Japanese, USA/U: American (both NTSC) or EUR/E: Europe (PAL) within the file name for differentiation. 2X sounds far to fast to be NTSC/PAL issue, its probably due to incorrect emulation and/or no FPS limiting. RetroArch has more than one Core available for NES emulation, QuickNES, Fceu-next, Bnes and Nestopia, you could try another to see if there is any effect on accuracy and therefore correct emulation/speed.

SuperSirLink

Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:42 am

Turns out it was the ROM... Learned something new! Nestopia playing it really threw me off... Thanks!

gregor243452

Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:28 am

which emulator did you finally used?

regards
gregor

welshy

Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:10 am

SuperSirLink
Nice one! Glad I could be of assistance. What exactly was the issue?

SuperSirLink

Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:37 pm

It was the ROM... I didn't change anything on the Pi... I just downloaded one that had U in the name...

terragady

Sat May 13, 2017 11:15 pm

I have also a weird problem. I am in Europe and using PAL (i think so). I downloaded roms with E or Europe and as example I can give you Super Mario. It runs too fast and the music is too fast as well. Then when I download the same rom with JAP markings it is all good. So my system is somehow setup to NTSC/JAP? Can I change it somehow? How to play PAL games as I have few rare roms which I could only find in PAL.... I am using RPiZero W and HDMI. My TV is setup to Europe region if thats matter. I couldnt find any option on retropie about the region though.

Return to “Gaming”