benbrockn

Win32 Disk Imager [SOLVED]

Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:06 am

I've had to go through many, many forums to be able to use Win32 Disk Imager to install an image (In this case RetroPie) to an SD card.
  • This was my error: "An error occurred when attempting to get a handle on the volume. Error 5: Access is denied"
  • Yes, I ran it as administrator using a local account (and even used my admin account as well)
  • I used a 4 GB, Class 4 SanDisk card.
  • I have Windows 7 Home Premium.
  • I have an HP Pavilion dv6z Quad Core Laptop.
  • My SD card reader is built in, it is a RealTek PCIE RTS5209 card reader (I found this out by using the "lspci" command in Ubuntu, which by the way doesn't have RealTek drivers so you'll need to download those here: http://www.realtek.com/downloads/downlo ... wn=false#2 if you are using Ubuntu).
  • Disk Imager & Windows both show the SD card. Windows can read/write, but the Disk Imager cannot.
These are the things I tried:
Finally, while searching forums I came across on that suggested using the very first version of Disk Imager (v0.1) and that for some reason was able to read from my internal sd card reader.

Here is the link to version 1: http://code.google.com/p/learn-gdx/down ... p&can=2&q=

I've also included GrueMaster to this forum (the maintainer of Disk Imager) so that he can see this.

Hope this fix works for you all!

GrueMaster

Re: Win32 Disk Imager [SOLVED]

Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:58 pm

There has been a lot of discussion regarding this issue on the launchpad site for this app. What it boils down to is another app is locking the device or not sharing properly. To be fair, win32DiskImager doesn't try to detect other apps nor does it lock the device for exclusive use at this time.

See https://answers.launchpad.net/win32-ima ... /+faq/2470 for more specific information. We will try to get a solution in place for a future release.

It is NOT recommended to go back to that old of a release, as it had a lot of bugs (like indiscriminately decimating your boot drive).

some_evil

Mon Jan 12, 2015 6:46 am

Hi,

I am using a Windows 7 machine to run Disk Imager, do you have any tips on working out what program is creating this 'lock' on my card reader??

I am not consciously running any software that would create a lock, its obviously something in the background doing it, and I have no idea what that could be...

Cheers
PiZeroW - May 2017
Pi 3 - Oct 2016
PiZero - June 2016
Pi 2 - Jan 2016
Pi B+ - Dec 25 2014

DougieLawson

Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:44 pm

With a full size card or full size adapter and a slot there's the read/write enable tab on the SDCard. Is that tab in the right position? The Raspberry Pi model B ignores that, the B+ doesn't have that on a microSD.

The other thing to try is a USB SDCard reader because your old laptop may not be capable of reading SDHC or SDXC cards.
Languages using left-hand whitespace for syntax are ridiculous

DMs sent on Twitter/LinkedIn will be answered next month.
Fake doctors - are all on my foes list.

The use of crystal balls and mind reading is prohibited.

riverthames

Re: Win32 Disk Imager [SOLVED - Again so updated]

Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:09 pm

Like many I spent ages with Win32 Disk Imager reporting error 5 and no other information....
Conclusion I came to:
- must run SD Card Formatter and use the full "Overwrite format" option rather than just the "Quick format" option
- use latest version of Win32Disk Imager (currently 1.0.0) and although this claims to completely take control and lock the microSDcard device it cannot successfully achieve this
- I still received repeated error 5 errors even though I could happily reformat the card (using SD Card Formatter) and use File Explorer to copy one or more ordinary windows files to the SD Card drive
- I use Acronis True Image 2018 and this includes the "Acronis Active Protection Service" capability to prevent ransomware attacking any previously created disk backup image files - on any/every connected drive!
- So simply use Task Manager to select this process and then 'End Process' and the Error 5 problem goes away....

Good luck!

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:28 pm

riverthames wrote:
Like many I spent ages with Win32 Disk Imager reporting error 5 and no other information....
Conclusion I came to:
- must run SD Card Formatter and use the full "Overwrite format" option rather than just the "Quick format" option
- use latest version of Win32Disk Imager (currently 1.0.0) and although this claims to completely take control and lock the microSDcard device it cannot successfully achieve this
- I still received repeated error 5 errors even though I could happily reformat the card (using SD Card Formatter) and use File Explorer to copy one or more ordinary windows files to the SD Card drive
- I use Acronis True Image 2018 and this includes the "Acronis Active Protection Service" capability to prevent ransomware attacking any previously created disk backup image files - on any/every connected drive!
- So simply use Task Manager to select this process and then 'End Process' and the Error 5 problem goes away....

Good luck!
Note that you were replaying to a three year old thread, which is about as obsolete as using windiskimager.
most users nowadays use etcher.
see https://www.raspberrypi.org/learning/so ... uickstart/

fruitoftheloom

Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:03 pm

riverthames wrote:
Conclusion I came to:

Good luck!

Poppycock, nigh on 3 years on and W32DI is now way past its use by date, period.

Etcher (GUI & CLi) is a great piece of simple software which just woks on x86 Win / Linux / OSX, for creating a bootable SD Card.

Finally Etcher has made NoobS redundant:

https://etcher.io/
Take what I advise as advice not the utopian holy grail, and it is gratis !!

mvandervorst

Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:04 pm

I just had the same problem with etcher. I had to turn off Acronis Active Protection. I haven't retried with Win32DiskImager.

enricosavazzi

Sat Jan 04, 2020 4:42 am

Win 32 Disk Imager version 1.0, same problem with Error 5. I was attempting to overwrite a card that contained an existing known-good copy of Raspbian.

Disabling Symantec Endpoint Protection had no effect. The error remained. I later found out that Symantec Endpoint Protection does not need to be turned off at all.

Like other users found out, Acronis Active protection was one of the error causes. End the process in Task Manager.

In addition, I had to go to Control Panel, Disk Management, and delete all existing partitions on the micro SD card. Without doing this, Win32 Disk Imager fails with the same error after writing the first partition and attempting to overwrite the second existing partition.

Woko

Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:25 am

Hi I need your help, I have just bought a Raspberry Pi Model 3 B+ and have a 32Gb Micro SD card and I can not seem to setup the SD card correctly to use the Pi. I am using a HP laptop with Windows 10 x64 and Mcafee Virus Protection Software.

I removed all partitions from the SD card and its formatted as Fat32. I then downloaded 'Raspbian Buster with Desktop and reccomended software' from this link, https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/raspbian/

Using Win32 Disk Imager to flash the .img file onto the card I keep getting, error 5 volume denied message. To combat this I have tried using an older version of Win32, disabling my virus protection software and a re-boot of the computer. Nothing has worked.

As the issue is with Win32, I tried using Balena Etcher tool to flash the .img file to the SD card which worked. However once the etcher tool has finished, Windows pops up an error message and says the card needs to be re-formatted before it can be used. So I now have a 2 allocated partitions, one with the Raspbian software (around 6Gb) and another called 'Boot H' (around 250Mb). If anyone has had a similar problem or knows a better way to setup the micro SD card for Raspberry Pi useage it would be much appreciated. Thank you

enricosavazzi

Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:23 am

Woko wrote:
[...]
As the issue is with Win32, I tried using Balena Etcher tool to flash the .img file to the SD card which worked. However once the etcher tool has finished, Windows pops up an error message and says the card needs to be re-formatted before it can be used. So I now have a 2 allocated partitions, one with the Raspbian software (around 6Gb) and another called 'Boot H' (around 250Mb). If anyone has had a similar problem or knows a better way to setup the micro SD card for Raspberry Pi useage it would be much appreciated. Thank you
The Windows error message at the end of .img writing only means that Windows cannot make sense of a partition on the SD card. This does not necessarily mean that the SD card is unusable on a Pi. It is also normal that the SD card contains two partitions. They are often displayed as two separate drives in Windows File Explorer, to add to the confusion.

At first boot Raspbian normally changes the size of the second partition to take up all the free space left untouched by image writing (this needed to be done manually in earlier Raspbian versions).

What I suggest you to do is connect keyboard, mouse and screen to the Pi (you won't be able to connect to the Pi by SSH out-of-the-box), plug the SD card in the Pi and power it up to see if it boots up and works correctly. This is the only thing that really matters. Then do whatever Pi configuration you need via keyboard, mouse and screen.

I seem to remember using Balena Etcher in the past, and that it did produce a bootable Raspbian SD card.
Last edited by enricosavazzi on Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:28 am, edited 2 times in total.

jahboater

Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:24 am

Woko wrote:
Ignore any messages from Windows about needing to reformat the card.
It is because Windows doesn't understand the second ext4 partition.

Safely eject the card, place it in the Pi and it should boot fine.

jahboater

Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:27 am

enricosavazzi wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:23 am
I seem to remember using Balena Etcher in the past, and that it did produce a bootable Raspbian SD card.
Millions of people do.

To connect via ssh (if a keyboard/screen are not available), create an empty file in the first (250MB) FAT32 partition called "ssh" or "ssh.txt". This will enable ssh.

hippy

Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:28 pm

There is an option in Balena Etcher for "Eject on success" which will, with luck, avoid Windows detecting it as a card formatted in a way it doesn't understand after flashing.

Return to “Troubleshooting”