Bosse_B

Can I run Pirateplayer on a RasPi?

Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:10 pm

I have a couple of Pi units sitting on my home LAN, one RASPBMC with XBMC as primary application and one RASPBIAN with the primary task of providing VPN access to my LAN.
Over the summer, when I am not at home, I use VPN to access my network and the resources there and it works just fine. I can use PuTTY to get a command prompt on both Pi units once I have connected by VPN.

My problem is this:
There is a TV series on the Swedish SVT1 channel for which we missed the first two episodes. I can get these via SVTplay, but they are only available for a limited time, so when we are back home next that time has expired. :(
What I want to do now is to somehow use Pirateplayer (or something similar) on the Pi to download the two episodes as mp4 files to my Synology NAS server on the network.
Then I could watch the two episodes later.

Why don't I just watch the play channel where I am, you might ask?
The reason is that I am on mobile broadband over at the summer house and the provider has a limit on the data you may download from the web. Two episodes will exhaust my allowance from now until October...

So by using VPN plus PuTTY to get to the Pi I would be able to command the Pi to download a file and store it on the NAS share for later viewing.
I have used wget this way to download a very large software installer, which I later could pick up using a USB drive when I was back home.
But the play channel does not give me a file URL so I cannot use wget, instead I need to use Pirateplayer or some such program on the pi to do the download.

Anyone with any ideas about this?
Some alternate solution perhaps?
Can XBMC do the trick (get an episode via SVTplay and instead of showing on the TV save it to disk)?

I would go for anything that works using only the command line access to the Pi (I am coming in via VPN and PuTTY).

Remote desktop?
Or is there a way I can see the desktop of the Pi even though there is nothing connected to teh HDMI connector and I am sitting 100 km away? Some remote desktop option or similar?
On the Pirateplayer homepage it says that it can run on any commonly used desktop platform such as Linux, Windows and OSX or even Android. So if I can get a desktop visible over here I might be able to use it directly in GUI mode.
Don't know if that is possible though....
Bo Berglund
Sweden

gkreidl

Re: Can I run Pirateplayer on a RasPi?

Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:24 pm

Ask them if they can compile a version for Raspberry Pi (they deliver Debian packages for X86),
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

rln

Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:01 pm

I live in Sweden to and can help out.

1) Don't install PiratePlayer, instead go for http://pirateplay.se/app.html where you copy/paste the link from svtplay.se
2) Get a recent version of ffmpeg and lame
3) When you have a converted link (from 1 above) hand it over to ffmpeg like this:

Code: Select all

ffmpeg -y -i "http://svtplay18e-f.akamaihd.net/........." -deinterlace -vcodec mpeg4 -b 2792k -qmin 1 -qmax 4 -acodec libmp3lame -ac 2 -async 4800000 output.avi
Author of the robust Nard distro http://www.nard.se

Bosse_B

Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:26 pm

Thanks!
This worked just fine on my Pi back home. :D
I did this, all via VPN and PuTTY:
sudo apt-get install ffmpeg
Then I cd'ed to the target directory on my mounted NAS
Used the PP Webapp page to create the long ffmpeg command line
Started a screen on the Pi so loss of connectivity from me would not stop download
Pasted the ffmpeg command into this screen

The video downloaded just fine!

Thanks again!
Bo Berglund
Sweden

Return to “Advanced users”