ultimatepi

Corrupted USB Stick

Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:57 pm

Hi

I know this is not related to Raspberry Pi, but I have been having trouble with my Sandisk Cruzer Edge USB Stick. I need to use it and it just won't come up on Windows. Device Manager recognises it, but I cannot access it via File Manager(My Computer). I have tried changing the drive letter/formatting and cleaning it in Command Prompt and neither have worked.

Any suggestions?

ultimatepi
"You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose." -Dr. Seuss

DirkS

Re: Corrupted USB Stick

Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:04 pm

Try Disk Management.

fruit-uk

Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:08 pm

I have a Cruzer Blade like that. Can't do anything with it - and I tried a lot!

DougieLawson

Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:44 pm

Plug it into your RPi and fix it with parted (or gparted).

You may also want to install the fixed dosfstools so you can use those to repair the filesystem.
Languages using left-hand whitespace for syntax are ridiculous

DMs sent on Twitter/LinkedIn will be answered next month.
Fake doctors - are all on my foes list.

The use of crystal balls and mind reading is prohibited.

fruitoftheloom

Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:01 pm

ultimatepi wrote:Hi

I know this is not related to Raspberry Pi, but I have been having trouble with my Sandisk Cruzer Edge USB Stick. I need to use it and it just won't come up on Windows. Device Manager recognises it, but I cannot access it via File Manager(My Computer). I have tried changing the drive letter/formatting and cleaning it in Command Prompt and neither have worked.

Any suggestions?

ultimatepi
TestDisk is in the repositories http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk
Take what I advise as advice not the utopian holy grail, and it is gratis !!

ultimatepi

Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:02 pm

Hi

I think it was used in a Raspberry Pi, but I ended up removing it as I found out I didn't actually need it. Disk Management shows the USB Stick, but you can't format it or anything from there. Are there any good Windows usb stick repair programs out there which are safe and free that I could use?

ultimatepi
"You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose." -Dr. Seuss

fruitoftheloom

Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:29 pm

ultimatepi wrote:Hi

I think it was used in a Raspberry Pi, but I ended up removing it as I found out I didn't actually need it. Disk Management shows the USB Stick, but you can't format it or anything from there. Are there any good Windows usb stick repair programs out there which are safe and free that I could use?

ultimatepi
TestDisk is multi-platform http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk

""TestDisk checks the partition and boot sectors of your disks. It is very useful in recovering lost partitions.""
Take what I advise as advice not the utopian holy grail, and it is gratis !!

fruit-uk

Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:56 pm

Testdisk and everything else I've tried doesn't help with mine, it can see partitions but it's unwriteable - with anything, totally useless.

DirkS

Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:08 pm

fruit-uk wrote:Testdisk and everything else I've tried doesn't help with mine, it can see partitions but it's unwriteable - with anything, totally useless.
As Dougie already mentioned: try parted / gparted on Linux (and that could be a Pi).
On Win: diskpart

Gr.
Dirk.

fruit-uk

Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:51 am

DirkS wrote: As Dougie already mentioned: try parted / gparted on Linux (and that could be a Pi).
As said already, I've tried just about everything.

Apart from an old XP machine here I'm all linux. parted, gparted were some of the first I tried.

The Blade is simply not writeable any more - and it doesn't have a lock tab before anyone suggest trying that!

RaTTuS

Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:05 am

it's probably dead then
flash disks are not writeable for ever..
if on the RPI
you cannot
sudo fdisk /dev/whatever
and delete create partitions then it is dead
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

johnnyq

Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:35 am

fruit-uk wrote:
DirkS wrote: As Dougie already mentioned: try parted / gparted on Linux (and that could be a Pi).
As said already, I've tried just about everything.

Apart from an old XP machine here I'm all linux. parted, gparted were some of the first I tried.

The Blade is simply not writeable any more - and it doesn't have a lock tab before anyone suggest trying that!
Hi, have you tried any of SSS tools ? I have recovered too many "dead" mems with them . First identify the chip, use ChipGenius, then post the output (ex.: VID&PID...). I am sure it's a corrupted firmware issue, unless a shortcircuit ocurred on the +5V.

ultimatepi

Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:00 pm

Hi there

I have managed to fix it. I plugged the stick in another computer and it found it. I then knew it wasn't dead so I ejected it and put it back in the computer I was using. I managed to change the drive letter from E to H and now it works.

Thanks for all your help anyway!

ultimatepi

Return to “Off topic discussion”