Fra87

Oracle java me embedded for raspberry b+

Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:59 pm

Hi, i want develop my application with my raspberry b+. I want use java me embedded for raspberry but i have any questions.
1 On the site:
http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/ ... 62242.html

1 I read Oracle Java ME Embedded 8.1 for Raspberry Pi Model B (ARM11/Linux) but my model is rapberry b+. Is it compatible with 40 pins?

2 When i try download zip, oracle ask me registration why ? What i do?

3 I have not understand what is different between:
Oracle Java ME Embedded 8.1 for Raspberry Pi Model B (ARM11/Linux) - oracle-jmee-8-1-rr-raspberrypi-linux-bin.zip
and
Oracle Java ME Embedded 3.3 for Raspberry Pi Model B (ARM 11/ Linux) - oracle-jmee-3-3-rr-raspberrypi-linux-bin.zip

ghans

Re: Oracle java me embedded for raspberry b+

Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:31 am

Are you sure that you are talking about ME (Mobile
edition) when you quote a version number like 8.1 ?
AFAIK only SE ( Standard Edition) has a version number that
high already.

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

WillemD

Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:37 am

Struggling a bit myself. I did the on-line course for javame8 from oracle (free) partly. Looking at the release notes of the java me for raspberry pi it should be able to work on B+. It states "use the additional pins at own risk". However when I try to open one of those pins I get an error message "unknown device". Also, it seems that the pin direction even of the base version B pins is predefined and cannot be changed. If I try to set gpio04 to output I also get an error message.

In the getting started guide at http://docs.oracle.com/javame/8.1/get-s ... m#sthref57 it states "GPIO modes are not software-configurable. All GPIO pins in the preceding table are given with the only mode that is supported on the Raspberry Pi. If an application attempts to configure a GPIO pin to use an unsupportable mode, an exception will be thrown."

I posted a question in the course forum to get more clarity. So far I have the impression that the software is more restrictive than the hardware.

As to registration and installation, I did register, no problem and downloaded and installed it as shown in the course (see sticky note in this forum for course link).

Update to the above:
I managed to get also the additional B+ ports working so this confirms that it is compatible with the B+ models.
Last edited by WillemD on Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

joan

Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:42 am

The link given shows Java ME (micro edition) at version 8.

Fra87

Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:43 pm

yes i am sure
Last edited by Fra87 on Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fra87

Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:44 pm

joan wrote:The link given shows Java ME (micro edition) at version 8.
I read Oracle Java ME Embedded 8.1 for Raspberry Pi Model B (ARM11/Linux)
Why i can't download file zip without registration?

ghans

Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:58 pm

Because Oracle wants it that way. Note that Oracle controls
Java and asks for (IMHO reasonable) fees when using Java
in a commercial setting.

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

Fra87

Sat Jan 31, 2015 2:04 pm

ghans wrote:Because Oracle wants it that way. Note that Oracle controls
Java and asks for (IMHO reasonable) fees when using Java
in a commercial setting.
ghans
When i try to register there is any fields that i can't fille because i don't know what i write. Example:
Company name:
street address:
qualification
I don't work what i write in these fields?
Is registration only for company?

ghans

Sat Jan 31, 2015 2:40 pm

Perhaps try sending private messages (PM) to following forum
users which are Oracle employees accustomed with the
situation of Java and the Pi :

http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/membe ... le&u=46687
http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/membe ... e&u=132631

ghans

-rst-

Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:22 am

Judging from the other thread you got it downloaded, but in case someone else is wondering about this.

As far as I understand, the Java ME Embedded is not meant for the wider public like the desktop JRE - embedded is for device manufacturers (to be adapted and actually embedded in devices, hence the name). Just like one would not download and install ME platform for a mobile phone (where it is already embedded), but as an application developer one would typically only download the ME SDK. There are a couple of reference implementations of the platform available (RPi and Freescale) but as said these are mainly meant for manufacturers so they require logging in with an 'Oracle Account'.

If someone wants to take a look before dowloading, this seems fairly comprehensive http://docs.oracle.com/javame/8.1/get-s ... pi/toc.htm
http://raspberrycompote.blogspot.com/ - Low-level graphics and 'Coding Gold Dust'

Return to “Java”